Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I had to give mouth to mouth to my baby today

Posted by on Jul. 17, 2014 at 6:51 PM
  • 20 Replies
1 mom liked this

He had a mild fever and it just spiked suddenly this morning while I was changing his diaper. He went into a seizure and started choking on his vomit. His entire head turned blue. It was the worst thing Ive ever seen! I cant get that image out of my head! I am still shaken up! DH called 911 when I was giving him breaths and he went to the hospital in an ambulance. DH stayed home because we do daycare together and had a house full of kids and waited until their parents picked up.

We just happen to have our CPR class this Saturday. BOY am I glad I have taken years of CPR! Somehow it all just came back to me. At first I did freak out. Im sure on the 911 tape you can hear me in the background.Something clicked in my head to calm down. When I was giving him breaths he vomited in my mouth and then started breathing. I then turned him to his side and he was out of it for a while. I cant believe how many things go through your head while this is happening! Its like a life flashing before your eyes thing. And I was asking myself questions like is he going to make it? Am I doing this right? Why is the ambulance taking so long? Im sure it was just a couple minutes but it seemed like he wasnt breathing FOREVER!

If any of you have experience with febrile seizures or any seizures please share! Im still trying to figure out the alternating the fever reducing meds. I started with motrin and then four hours later tylenol. Then I think im supposed to give him motrin again in four hours. The pharmasist I talked to and the nurse at the hospital told me two different things...ugh. The nurse pretty much said I could give both around the same time which didnt sound right to me.

by on Jul. 17, 2014 at 6:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AM-BRAT
by Gold Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 6:56 PM
:(

Good job mama.

Motrin and tylenol are different that's why they can be done together. The nurses know what they're doing.

I'm an EMT and had to beat the shit outta my kid upside down to get an airway on her in a restaurant. Stupid hard candies. I was ready to give up I had done quite a few rounds of sweeping and beating lol.

When it all stopped the lady at the register was like, do you still want an ambulance? Lol woman I practically AM the ambulance. Lol! Anyway that sucked.
wonderwomanT08
by Ruby Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 7:02 PM

hugs! Im always worried about kids choking. I didnt prepare for this to happen!

Quoting AM-BRAT: :( Good job mama. Motrin and tylenol are different that's why they can be done together. The nurses know what they're doing. I'm an EMT and had to beat the shit outta my kid upside down to get an airway on her in a restaurant. Stupid hard candies. I was ready to give up I had done quite a few rounds of sweeping and beating lol. When it all stopped the lady at the register was like, do you still want an ambulance? Lol woman I practically AM the ambulance. Lol! Anyway that sucked.

wonderwomanT08
by Ruby Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 7:14 PM

bump

AM-BRAT
by Gold Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 7:20 PM
I always worry, always. I hate choking.

And they're not usually allowed those stupid candies. We went back to that rule. ;)

Quoting wonderwomanT08:

hugs! Im always worried about kids choking. I didnt prepare for this to happen!

Quoting AM-BRAT: :(

Good job mama.

Motrin and tylenol are different that's why they can be done together. The nurses know what they're doing.

I'm an EMT and had to beat the shit outta my kid upside down to get an airway on her in a restaurant. Stupid hard candies. I was ready to give up I had done quite a few rounds of sweeping and beating lol.

When it all stopped the lady at the register was like, do you still want an ambulance? Lol woman I practically AM the ambulance. Lol! Anyway that sucked.

Bmat
by Ruby Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 7:22 PM
1 mom liked this

You did very well indeed. Thank you for posting this, it may encourage other moms to get CPR training. I hope your little one is all better now. 

Christy_517
by Invisible on Jul. 17, 2014 at 7:51 PM
My little brother had febrile seizures when he was little. My mom would use rubbing alcohol to quickly bring his temperature down. Like dump two bottles of it on him. I have no idea if that's something that they still do though. This was over 20 years ago. Sorry your kiddo is sick. :(
TheMeanestMom
by Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 8:33 PM
You hadn't given him any type of benedryl, had you? It can lower the threshold for seizures making them more likely

That's what happened to a friend of mine.

I've also heard of it happening after vaccines.

So scary! Good job!
wonderwomanT08
by Ruby Member on Jul. 17, 2014 at 9:37 PM
Hes never had benedryl. I space his vaccines. Now I'm really going to worry when he gets them :(

Quoting TheMeanestMom: You hadn't given him any type of benedryl, had you? It can lower the threshold for seizures making them more likely

That's what happened to a friend of mine.

I've also heard of it happening after vaccines.

So scary! Good job!
Court112
by Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:23 AM

The first time I ever had to use my first aid and cpr training was a few years ago when my brothers kid choked on a baby cookie....so scary! 

txrebel
by Member on Jul. 18, 2014 at 12:32 AM
1 mom liked this
I alternate the tylenol and motrin every 2 hours. My pedi told me to do that because my oldest ds always ran really high fevers. I think every parent should know CPR. In fact, it's time for me to redo mine.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)