Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Fiancé feels entitled to child support money.

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2014 at 8:20 PM
  • 47 Replies
I'm wondering how other people feel about this. My fiancé and I have separate bank accounts. He makes quite a bit more money than I do but I get child support for my son from a previous marriage. Before we moved in together I used the child support to pay my mortgage which my ex husband knew and was fine with since he knows I take good care of my son and he doesn't want for anything. Now my fiancé thinks this is "our" money because I pay less bills because we love together. We have no joint accounts and pay no bills together. We have an agreement that was set up before we got engaged and moved in together. I do give him extra money when he needs it. It just irks me that he seems to feel entitled to it. Am I being selfish ?
by on Jul. 21, 2014 at 8:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
irondruidmomma
by Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 8:26 PM
5 moms liked this
Of course not. Child support is to support the child...not the mom or anyone else. You are using that money to support your child's need...a roof over their head. Please don't feel bad. He needs to learn that your child's needs for that money are more important than his. He's a grown man, can provide for himself and your child is...well...a child. Youre not selfish at all.
spitfire06
by on Jul. 21, 2014 at 8:27 PM
8 moms liked this
Leave him
lonelymoon
by Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 8:27 PM
1 mom liked this
No way.
strongforthem
by Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 8:29 PM
6 moms liked this
Ha! He already makes more. You keep separate accounts, and he feels entitled to your kids money? Nip that in the butt!
AllieKat
by Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 8:30 PM
Time to leave.
howkhuntastic
by New Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 8:33 PM
1 mom liked this
What a douche bag.
jmartin42
by New Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 8:35 PM
Wow! I'm not sure why he feels so entitled...that money is for the care of your son not him. Why are you giving him money? He should WANT to take care of you not want to take money from your child. He is obviously putting himself first and that is NOT ok.
Nymom79
by New Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 8:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you everyone. I didn't think I was wrong. But you know when someone tells you something all the time , you start to believe it. I pay almost an equal $ amount in bills including his credit card and cell phone bill and our shared bills(cable and gas and electric) so if I wanted to be a real jerk I would only pay my own bills ( credit card, phone ) and half of our shared bills.
jmartin42
by New Member on Jul. 21, 2014 at 8:41 PM
That's what I would do :)
KellyNips
by Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 7:29 AM
2 moms liked this

NO NO NO and NO again.  the child support money is money for your child, nothing more.  he is not entitled to any of it.  plus, if I am reading this correctly, he moved into your house.  he is not entitled to anything else.  he should be lucky that you have a house for him to live in.  i would seriously reconsider this relationship -- it sounds like your fiance is a big loser and is only using you.  anyone who would "steal" from a child is no man.  i can only see bad things in your future with this man.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN