Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What would u do? Advice needed

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 4:28 PM
  • 14 Replies
OK so about a month ago I got a job at a law office. I'm happy cause I have always been interested in the legal field. Its not great(in terms of $$$ and benefits) but its my first job in the legal field. We have other attorneys who rent space and my boss doesn't like one of the other attorney secretary. Today my manger said this to me" If you want to keep your job dont let xxxc come here to the front and talk to her" I was like huh, so in conclusion my boss said if I want to keep my job not have this person talk to me in the front.What would u do?
by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 4:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jomami
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 5:22 PM

If she comes up to talk to you, let her know that you don't want to be seen talking in the front when you're supposed to be working. Ask her to please not come up to you while you're working there.  Tell her that if she needs something, she should email you. Be blunt about it without mentioning what your boss said so she knows that you don't want to talk to her there.  Otherwise, you may lose your job!

kaylasmom22
by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 5:45 PM
But do you think its right my boss said that? Its like a threat, just cause he doesn't like her

Quoting jomami:

If she comes up to talk to you, let her know that you don't want to be seen talking in the front when you're supposed to be working. Ask her to please not come up to you while you're working there.  Tell her that if she needs something, she should email you. Be blunt about it without mentioning what your boss said so she knows that you don't want to talk to her there.  Otherwise, you may lose your job!

kaylasmom22
by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 7:08 PM
Bump
lady21784
by Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 7:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Time to find another boss.
kaylasmom22
by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 7:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol that's what I was thinking but I just started and I hate the whole job hunt. I was out looking for about 6 months before finding this one.

Quoting lady21784: Time to find another boss.
Court112
by Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 8:16 PM

If she talks to you in the front jsut explain that you weere asked not to, and you dont even have to give her a reason. I would personally like to keep my job weather or not the boss is right or wrong. 

Foolynroo2
by Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 8:50 PM

Not chit chat with others.

MamaBearEH
by Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Your boss might just be super blunt.  Maybe they've had problems with this lady before chit-chatting with people instead of working, and that's what he's telling you.  That's kind of how I read it - not as a threat.  They aren't paying you to chit-chat, so I wouldn't be offended.  If you're bothered by the open communication like that then maybe I'd consider finding another job.  If not then heed his advice and focus on work & don't let this problem lady distract you.  You can politely tell her that you can't talk, because you have work to do.

kaylasmom22
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 7:27 AM
That's what bothered me that the boss didn't say it to me but send me a message with the office manager. He doesn't like this lady cause she told him off and he can't do nothing about it cause she works for another attorney.

Quoting MamaBearEH:

Your boss might just be super blunt.  Maybe they've had problems with this lady before chit-chatting with people instead of working, and that's what he's telling you.  That's kind of how I read it - not as a threat.  They aren't paying you to chit-chat, so I wouldn't be offended.  If you're bothered by the open communication like that then maybe I'd consider finding another job.  If not then heed his advice and focus on work & don't let this problem lady distract you.  You can politely tell her that you can't talk, because you have work to do.

jomami
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:18 AM

I'd think of it as more of a warning.  He doesn't want receptionists hanging out in the front of the office chatting.  That sounds understandable.  The other lady sounds like a loud mouth trouble maker (since you said she told your boss off) and it sounds right to have the office manager let you know that he doesn't want her standing around the front of his office chatting with you.

I would respect his wishes if you don't want to keep job hunting and jumping from job to job.  Just do you job and don't talk to her during work hours in the front of the office. As I said below, I wouldn't tell her that your boss said anything about not talking to her, etc - that'll get back to him and he may want to fire you for that.

Personally, I'd try to stay away from the other lady, work hard and be respectful and loyal to your boss.

Quoting kaylasmom22: But do you think its right my boss said that? Its like a threat, just cause he doesn't like her
Quoting jomami:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN