Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

surgery in the morning scared to be put to sleep!

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 9:30 PM
  • 13 Replies

I'm getting gallbladder surgery in the morning. I put off this surgery for over 5 years and since I'm getting real sick I got to get it out! I'm just scared being put to sleep! To those who was put to sleep is it scary?

by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 9:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Amy_M
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Ask them to give you something to help calm you down.  When I had my gall bladder out, it was my first surgery and I was terrified.  I ended up having a panic attack.  I have had two procedures done since then that I have needed to be put under, I immediately ask for something to help with the nerves.

ajzuell
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Thanks I wonder if they can give me something safe while breastfeeding.

Quoting Amy_M:

Ask them to give you something to help calm you down.  When I had my gall bladder out, it was my first surgery and I was terrified.  I ended up having a panic attack.  I have had two procedures done since then that I have needed to be put under, I immediately ask for something to help with the nerves.

kit_manson
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 9:40 PM

No. They gave me ativan. Not sure if it's routine or not, but tell them you have anxiety! they'll give it to you. It was like falling asleep and waking up high.

NeonGirl9583
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 9:42 PM
Its not to bad. I slept like a baby forever after it.
Corieva
by Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 9:45 PM
1 mom liked this
I was afraid about being put under for surgery too. My aunt had her friend call me the night before my surgery. He was a renown anesthesiologist who lectured all over the world. His exact words were, "We aren't paid the big money to put you to sleep. We are paid to make sure that you wake up! "
I felt much better. Everything was fine. You'll be fine too!
lynhart
by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 10:25 PM

I was nervous, it went so fast though.

DSamuels
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 11:24 PM

I must be strange, I've never been afraid of being put under for surgery. Maybe because my first surgery was at 16 from a car accident and I did just fine. I didn't have another surgery until about 30 years later when I had a D&C and it was fine. I've had 2 more since then (hysterectomy and gallbladder) and haven't had any problems, so to me it's not a big deal.

Kellileanne
by Platinum Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 11:26 PM
They will give you happy drugs, just let them know you are nervous. It will be over before you know it.
Mom-does-hair
by Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 11:29 PM
They usually ask if you want something to relax. Say yes! Idk if toucan bf on any anesthesia. You may have to pump and dump for a few days!
jconney80
by Platinum Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 11:33 PM

I'm sorry you have to have surgery! I hate being put to sleep too. Let them know you're anxious. Maybe they will give you something to calm you before. I don't think you will really realize what's happening when you are put to sleep though so don't stress too much! Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN