Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Could you live with your in-laws if you had to?

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:49 AM
  • 263 Replies

My BFF just moved in with her inlaws while her husband is overseas.  They are trying to save up money to put a down payment on a house.  I wouldn't care how much money I was saving, there's now way I would be able to live with my inlaws.  Could you?

by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mama_Kace.x2
by New Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:59 AM

I've lived with my in-laws before, and while I was unhappy and things were tense, I think it really depends on the relationship you have with them. My in-laws don't seem to like me, and they definitely have different values. But we make it work because we need a place to stay until we can move into our new home. : ) whatever it takes to get what you want. 

MixedCooke
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:03 AM
I did for about 3 months but no I didn't like it but more because my husband transitioned from a man into a boy and forgot he still had responsibilities to deal with plus they didn't get that I worked nights and needed to rest in the day and his brother would walk into our room without knocking or when I was sleeping and wake me up! We lived with my Mother for a little over a year while we saved up for our first house and that was fine though I pretty much did all the cooking and laundry : /
Bonneata
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:19 AM
1 mom liked this

I would have no problem living with my in laws . 

lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:38 AM
3 moms liked this

Sadly my husbands mom passed before we married. The 2 years I knew her I loved her. I think yes we could have lived together. Dhs dad Hell no. He wasn't a good man. He was lying, cheating, POS.

Dh and I lived with my parents for 5 years. My dad had a heart attack and mom was worried about paying bills. In 5 years we only had 2 times we were really pissed at 1 another.

I am a super clean person. I love to cook. I like a clean clean home. My parents loved me living with them. I cleaned, cooked dinner most nights, kept up with laundry, DH  did yard work, they loved my babies being so close. for us it was a win/ win.

Lordgodempress
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:08 AM
1 mom liked this

My mil lives with us, it's not too bad most of the time, but the only reason it works is that it's my house.   I could never live in her home, i would rather live in a box.

beadingmom17
by Rachel on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:08 AM
2 moms liked this
Nope.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ProudNavyWife14
by New Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:21 AM
2 moms liked this
I'm living with my in laws now. I've been living with them since June 6th 2012. I moved in here because I was 17 and me and my husband ( my boyfriend back then) had a little boy together and the whole going back and forth between my house and his wasn't working. Now in October he will be graduating from his A-school in the navy and we will be moving somewhere out of state. I am beyond excited.... I love my in laws and everything and they have been an amazing support system but it has been rough living in their house for two years with my son. I'm ready to be in my own place
jillyhillybilly
by New Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this
We lived with them for a couple months in between selling our house and having our other one built. It was horrible. I will never do it again.
KTU
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Yes, I could.

Tea_Love
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:28 AM

In their house? No but there is going to be a short period this fall when we will be in between selling our current house and buying a new one in a different province that we will have to stay in their guest house. I am pretty grateful that we are able to do that because otherwise we would have to stay in a hotel for a couple of weeks and that would be pricey. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN