Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Is ThIs Tacky???

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:59 AM
  • 19 Replies
We're on a tight budget and catering our dinner ourselves. We want to do a buffet and cam up with a tentative menu:

Fried Chicken
Fried Shrimp
Homemade Mac n Cheese
Coleslaw
Pasta salad
Jello pretzel salad
Cheese, fruit and veggie tray
Ranch fountain
Something else
Our Cake
ETA: Forgot to add that were also doing pulled pork/beef bbq

We are only having about 75 to 90 people and I know his family is used to just going to KFC after
a wedding at the JOP
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:07 AM

Its fine. Its what you can afford.  I have never heard of ranch fountain . Is that like chocolate fountain instead with ranch dressing and cut up veggies ?Other than jello pretzel salad the rest sounds ok. But that's me personally not liking jello salad.

OhSara87
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:15 AM
Yep replace the chocolate with ranch. I saw it on Pintrest and loved the idea.

The jello salad idk if it's gonna work out

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

Its fine. Its what you can afford.  I have never heard of ranch fountain . Is that like chocolate fountain instead with ranch dressing and cut up veggies ?Other than jello pretzel salad the rest sounds ok. But that's me personally not liking jello salad.

OhSara87
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:23 AM
Bump
OhSara87
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:23 AM
Bump
lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:23 AM

Quoting OhSara87: Yep replace the chocolate with ranch. I saw it on Pintrest and loved the idea. The jello salad idk if it's gonna work out
Quoting lucky2Beeme:

cute idea. If you are doing that I would omit the veggies cheese and fruit trays. You can do fruit kabobs with dip thats made from yogurt and cool whip to be served with the wedding cake as dessert.

Surround yourself with people that add to your life not subtract from it.

Bonneata
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:28 AM

Fried chicken , and ranch fountain sounds a tad tacky. I like the fruit kabobs instead of the vegatable tray idea yummy.. How about grilled chicken instead of fried chicken? I just thing two fried dishes is a little much. 

lapcounter
by Super Mom on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:30 AM
Agreed.

Quoting Bonneata:

Fried chicken , and ranch fountain sounds a tad tacky. I like the fruit kabobs instead of the vegatable tray idea yummy.. How about grilled chicken instead of fried chicken? I just thing two fried dishes is a little much. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jomami
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:39 AM

It sounds fine other than the jelo and pretzel salad.

Do you have a grill you can use?  If so, it may be better and more fun to make hamburgers and hot dogs (you can get them in bulk and cheap at Costco).  Then make some corn on the cob and break the ears so you can feed more people.  You could have a tomato and cucumber salad in addition to the veggie tray and cut up some watermelon slices.  The mac and cheese will be good with that and the cheese and fruit will be nice, too!  Instead of the jello, maybe serve the watermelon at the end as a dessert with the cake or put out cookies or brownies to go with the cake.

Enjoy and congratulations!

Serabeth06
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:40 AM

The only other thing I would say is maybe do a cooked vegetable like green beans or broccoli, since everything else (fried chicken, shrinp, mac n cheese, coleslaw, pasta salad) is all really similar in color, so the plates will look bland with nothing but yellow on them.

TresHijas111825
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 3:01 PM
1 mom liked this

You invite me to something and you feed me-I'm good. LOL. If you were asking me to BRING that for you-it'd be tacky. :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN