Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Essay writing tips?

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:13 PM
  • 8 Replies
I recently took a placement test for school. I did good in reading, ok in math but writing not good at all and it was on a topic that I was really baffled by, I want to work on that before I take the written test again. Any tips on writing a essay based on random topics? I would truly appreciate it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
butterfly61806
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:38 PM
Go over the outline of paper writing this was always my problem. Make sure your introduction has a thesis statement that sums up what will be in in the paper. Also the conclusion should reword the thesis.
Retrokitty
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:52 PM
Make an outlines

Introduction with a thesis, body, and conclusion. Stay on topic.

Write a statement, example, than explanation. And keep using that format. There should be about 3 statements in each paragraph. All should relate back to the thesis. Each paragraph should be a closer look at the thesis.
Cass84
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:54 PM
2 moms liked this
When writing an essay, you just follow a basic formula

Introduction: a few interesting sentences leading up to what the paper is going to be about. Ex: cats have been pets for thousands of years, even the Egyptians had their pet cats mummified. There is a reason they are so beloved in cultures around the world...

Thesis statement: towards the end of your introduction. The TS makes a claim with a list of reasons, usually 3.
Example: cats make great pets for busy, working people because, they are independent, easy to train, and low maintanence.

Body: usually 3-5 paragraphs breaking up your thesis with support for your claims. Ex: cats are very independent creatures, so if you work full time, they might be the pet for you, unlike dogs which are pack animals, cats are solitary in the wild...ect. Continue with each claim listed in your TS and provide support. By citing sources. Ex: in a recent study by Harvard In 2013 cats were found to ....blah, blah

Conclusion: repeating your thesis statement, usually not word for word. Ending your essay eloquently. Ex: so if you are a typical, busy American, consider a cat as the pet for you. They are independent, easy to train, and low maintenance. Sure dogs might be man's best friend, but cats are a professional's perfect companion.
Cheesy I know, just an ex. You use the same format, with different content,

Btw: I hate cats.
Good luck.
rightasrain25
by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 1:24 AM
Thank you all so much, it sounds easier than I thought once I saw the last reply.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
carolina_gal
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 9:11 AM

Great advice!

Quoting Cass84: When writing an essay, you just follow a basic formula Introduction: a few interesting sentences leading up to what the paper is going to be about. Ex: cats have been pets for thousands of years, even the Egyptians had their pet cats mummified. There is a reason they are so beloved in cultures around the world... Thesis statement: towards the end of your introduction. The TS makes a claim with a list of reasons, usually 3. Example: cats make great pets for busy, working people because, they are independent, easy to train, and low maintanence. Body: usually 3-5 paragraphs breaking up your thesis with support for your claims. Ex: cats are very independent creatures, so if you work full time, they might be the pet for you, unlike dogs which are pack animals, cats are solitary in the wild...ect. Continue with each claim listed in your TS and provide support. By citing sources. Ex: in a recent study by Harvard In 2013 cats were found to ....blah, blah Conclusion: repeating your thesis statement, usually not word for word. Ending your essay eloquently. Ex: so if you are a typical, busy American, consider a cat as the pet for you. They are independent, easy to train, and low maintenance. Sure dogs might be man's best friend, but cats are a professional's perfect companion. Cheesy I know, just an ex. You use the same format, with different content, Btw: I hate cats. Good luck.

Cass84
by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 10:52 AM
Thanks! I took advanced placement English in High school and we had to write an essay ever week for homework, so I got pretty used to them to say the least, lol!

Quoting carolina_gal:

Great advice!

Quoting Cass84: When writing an essay, you just follow a basic formula Introduction: a few interesting sentences leading up to what the paper is going to be about. Ex: cats have been pets for thousands of years, even the Egyptians had their pet cats mummified. There is a reason they are so beloved in cultures around the world... Thesis statement: towards the end of your introduction. The TS makes a claim with a list of reasons, usually 3. Example: cats make great pets for busy, working people because, they are independent, easy to train, and low maintanence. Body: usually 3-5 paragraphs breaking up your thesis with support for your claims. Ex: cats are very independent creatures, so if you work full time, they might be the pet for you, unlike dogs which are pack animals, cats are solitary in the wild...ect. Continue with each claim listed in your TS and provide support. By citing sources. Ex: in a recent study by Harvard In 2013 cats were found to ....blah, blah Conclusion: repeating your thesis statement, usually not word for word. Ending your essay eloquently. Ex: so if you are a typical, busy American, consider a cat as the pet for you. They are independent, easy to train, and low maintenance. Sure dogs might be man's best friend, but cats are a professional's perfect companion. Cheesy I know, just an ex. You use the same format, with different content, Btw: I hate cats. Good luck.

SamanthaSmith
by New Member on Aug. 16, 2017 at 1:09 PM

Thanks for the useful tips. Writing an essay is a nightmare for me. Currently I'm working on my first descriptive essay and I need to finish it in two weeks. After a little research I found some interesting descriptive essays examples. Hope with its help I'll finish my essay on time.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:27 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Sapphire Member on Aug. 16, 2017 at 1:40 PM

This sounds great!
Best of luck :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)