Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

best decision regarding vaccines

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:15 PM
  • 20 Replies
I know I'm going to get both sides of vaccines here but I still need some ideas bounced back and forth so to speak.

Ds and I are vaccinated so far, Ds is 5. I have gotten him vaccinated from everything but the flu and now chicken pox because we (yes me too) got it last year.

Ds got vaccinated with MMR, DTAP, and one more I can't remember. Anyways he had an reaction where all the vaccines caused him to break out in a red spot around the injection site, I do know this can be normal. But no one in my family (brothers and sister) has had it happen. So I have said no more.

I only say no more because my moms reaction of vaccines, she gets a full blown disease of which ever vaccine she gets. She has had measles, typhoid fever, lock jaw, and one more I can't remember. Because of Ds reaction I don't feel comfortable continuing vaccinating him, only because I would prefer he didn't have a reaction like my moms.

But here is where I have a not so sure approach I am pregnant. With Ds I said I'll vaccinate till a reaction if one happens then no more, I won't feel comfortable chancing it. Now that he has I'm not sure this baby will be able to be vaccinated because of my moms reactions towards them. I've been really debating on delaying, not doing any and doing the same.

With just this information how would you feel about vaccinating your second?
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:31 PM

My opinion? I'd separate the remaining vaccines, give them one at a time, spaced out. 

MamaBearEH
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:32 PM

It's an individual decision.  Even if we try to put ourselves in your shoes we're biased to what we already think, believe, or have experienced.  If you're looking for information on delayed vaccination check out Dr. Sears.

Bookoholic
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:32 PM
In general for all kids?

Quoting 143myboys9496:

My opinion? I'd separate the remaining vaccines, give them one at a time, spaced out. 

Bookoholic
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:33 PM
Thank you

Quoting MamaBearEH:

It's an individual decision.  Even if we try to put ourselves in your shoes we're biased to what we already think, believe, or have experienced.  If you're looking for information on delayed vaccination check out Dr. Sears.

143myboys9496
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:39 PM

Yes, spacing them out I think can be a good idea. But for your ds, he may have reacted to one part of a vaccine that was given as a cluster.

Any vaccine can cause redness and irritation at the site of injection. 

I'm in healthcare and "have" to get the flu shot annually. My arm ends up red at the injection site, and I work with 2 people that have gotten red welts at their injection sites.

Quoting Bookoholic: In general for all kids?
Quoting 143myboys9496:

MamaBearEH
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:42 PM

You're welcome.  It also has a lot of information about vaccination in general, so it might answer more of your questions & help you decide if you do want to vaccinate at all.  I can relate to being concerned like that... we chose not to... but that might not be the right decision for your family.

Quoting Bookoholic: Thank you
Quoting MamaBearEH:

Bookoholic
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:44 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure vaccination are for us now either. I mean I know they are there to save lives and I'm all for it but with my moms reaction they always have me on edge. No one knows why my mom reacts the way she does but that she probably wouldn't have had the virus any other way.

Quoting MamaBearEH:

You're welcome.  It also has a lot of information about vaccination in general, so it might answer more of your questions & help you decide if you do want to vaccinate at all.  I can relate to being concerned like that... we chose not to... but that might not be the right decision for your family.

Quoting Bookoholic: Thank you

Quoting MamaBearEH:

emmy526
by Emmy on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:47 PM
1 mom liked this

You can always delay and research and take your time deciding...once the vaccines are administered, there's no taking them back.

mylilprincesses
by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this
My daughter had a reaction to her 9mos shots and it made me think. I tried the schedule it didn't work for us.

Check out the vaers website
https://vaers.hhs.gov/index

Vaccine ingredients

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vac-gen/additives.htm

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_vaccine_ingredients

Measles death rate statics
No one this year has yet to die from the measles.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6236a2.htm?mobile=nocontent

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6322a4.htm?mobile=nocontent&s_cid=mm6322a4_w

Child Vaccinations - The Doctors Debate: http://youtu.be/eMrFV2rnHl

Feel free to message me about anything regarding vaccines or concerns about delaying or stopping
stormborn
by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 1:24 PM

I would continue to vaccinate my first child so I would definitely vaccinate my second. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)