Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Reasons to Wed

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 2:36 PM
  • 34 Replies
Is it a bad thing to get married for things other than love? Like money or children? Please share..
by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 2:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melaniecerise
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 2:40 PM
3 moms liked this

I believe you marry for other things without love then  don't believe you will have the foundation to last. I believe love is the foundation that makes a mariiage work. If you marry only for money or children, what happens when money uns out or the kids become too tough to handle? I believe it takes love to make a marriage work as well as other things

Goodybag1
by on Jul. 24, 2014 at 2:43 PM
Do you think it's ok to marry solely because of your children and then see what happens once they're off to college? In other words hold it together for their sake.

Quoting melaniecerise:

I believe you marry for other things without love then  don't believe you will have the foundation to last. I believe love is the foundation that makes a mariiage work. If you marry only for money or children, what happens when money uns out or the kids become too tough to handle? I believe it takes love to make a marriage work as well as other things

DACIA79
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 2:44 PM
I think if you marry for any other reason than love it's probably doomed from the beginning.

Maybe the situation is different if both of you know it's not for love but that's a different story.
melaniecerise
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 2:47 PM
1 mom liked this

No because i believe children will see through that. I believe children will know if their parents have a loving marriage and I believe children know and will want to model the type of relationship their parents have. I want my chidlren to be in a marriage based on love and I want to mirror that for them. 

Quoting Goodybag1: Do you think it's ok to marry solely because of your children and then see what happens once they're off to college? In other words hold it together for their sake.
Quoting melaniecerise:

gkcathey
by Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 2:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Kids know when you're not happy - it permeates the entire family existence.

alliemom4ever
by New Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 3:54 PM
1 mom liked this
My personal opinion, marry only for love. I think it'd be hell to marry someone u didn't love. Kids know the difference, heck my folks were miserable and still are. It sucks. Growing up like that is not cool
KREX0914
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:57 PM
1 mom liked this

It's only recently (in the grand scheme of things) that society has decided we should get married for love. It's also only recently that being divorced was the norm. Coincidence?

booscomputer
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:09 PM

Only because it won't work in the long run -- friendship and respect is the foundation of a good marriage -- without it, you're doomed to failure and/or unhappiness.

DrunkenFaeGirl
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:13 PM

No, it's actually because religion doesn't rule our society anymore not because we marry for love.

Quoting KREX0914:

It's only recently (in the grand scheme of things) that society has decided we should get married for love. It's also only recently that being divorced was the norm. Coincidence?

KREX0914
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:28 PM

Religion dictating society (at least the society I live in) is still very present but that is a different topic, entirely.

Quoting DrunkenFaeGirl:

No, it's actually because religion doesn't rule our society anymore not because we marry for love.

Quoting KREX0914:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)