Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Food for Thought

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 1:07 PM
  • 10 Replies
Nowadays convention tells us we need to put our child upstairs in a room alone and let him cry himself to sleep. It's convenient. On YOU. What about him? Wouldn't it scar you for life to be left alone, crying for mama until you eventually fell asleep. Crying is the only mechanism they have to tell you they need you. They NEED you mama. Yes it may be "inconvenient" for me. But I'll lay down with my baby and nurse him to sleep. I'll hold him and rock him until his eyes close. I'll hold his hand and stroke his hair until he drifts off to sleep. I will never be able to get these precious moments back. And in another year they will be gone. So yes I'm one of those mom's who "spoils" their child and doesn't let him cry himself to sleep. I will comfort my baby until he no longer needs me. Thinking of that day brings tears to my eyes. Cherish the moments you have with your children.  Don't listen to the people around you. Trust your motherly instincts and love your child with every ounce of your being. 
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 1:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
booscomputer
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 2:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree -- the idea that a baby can manipulate you is ridiculous -- after they are 1 year old -- yes, they can.  If you look at our closest relatives, chimpanzees keep their young attached to them for at least a year.  My DD slept with me for the first 4 months, then in a crib next to me for 2 months and then in her own room but she never cried herself to sleep.  BTW -- she is now 13, everyone thinks she is 15 or 16 because of her behavior, independence and drive.  

Hottmomma607
by Trica on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:05 PM
2 moms liked this
There is no right or wrong (of course any abusive thats wrong) way to raise children all you need is lots of love! Do whats best for your child and family. Mommies are not perfect,we are gonna make mistakes but in the end your kids will love you and will survive all stages in their lives. ;-)

Quoting MasonsMomma22: Nowadays convention tells us we need to put our child upstairs in a room alone and let him cry himself to sleep. It's convenient. On YOU. What about him? Wouldn't it scar you for life to be left alone, crying for mama until you eventually fell asleep. Crying is the only mechanism they have to tell you they need you. They NEED you mama. Yes it may be "inconvenient" for me. But I'll lay down with my baby and nurse him to sleep. I'll hold him and rock him until his eyes close. I'll hold his hand and stroke his hair until he drifts off to sleep. I will never be able to get these precious moments back. And in another year they will be gone. So yes I'm one of those mom's who "spoils" their child and doesn't let him cry himself to sleep. I will comfort my baby until he no longer needs me. Thinking of that day brings tears to my eyes. Cherish the moments you have with your children. � Don't listen to the people around you. Trust your motherly instincts and love your child with every ounce of your being.� 
coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 3:09 PM
I agree.

Quoting Hottmomma607: There is no right or wrong (of course any abusive thats wrong) way to raise children all you need is lots of love! Do whats best for your child and family. Mommies are not perfect,we are gonna make mistakes but in the end your kids will love you and will survive all stages in theit lives. ;-)

Quoting MasonsMomma22: Nowadays convention tells us we need to put our child upstairs in a room alone and let him cry himself to sleep. It's convenient. On YOU. What about him? Wouldn't it scar you for life to be left alone, crying for mama until you eventually fell asleep. Crying is the only mechanism they have to tell you they need you. They NEED you mama. Yes it may be "inconvenient" for me. But I'll lay down with my baby and nurse him to sleep. I'll hold him and rock him until his eyes close. I'll hold his hand and stroke his hair until he drifts off to sleep. I will never be able to get these precious moments back. And in another year they will be gone. So yes I'm one of those mom's who "spoils" their child and doesn't let him cry himself to sleep. I will comfort my baby until he no longer needs me. Thinking of that day brings tears to my eyes. Cherish the moments you have with your children.  Don't listen to the people around you. Trust your motherly instincts and love your child with every ounce of your being. 
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KRhyMama2013
by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 1:03 PM

My pediatrician told me we are the only mammals that try to separate from our young so early,  that when they are ready they will let you know.

kinshipcaremama
by on Jul. 26, 2014 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm a firm believer in "spoiling" babies and children!  Kids need their parents/caregivers to meet their needs and loving attention is just as important as food and sleep.  Childhood is so brief and it should be celebrated and enjoyed because it is over before you know it. 

star33
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 2:06 PM

i agree with you. having a baby means putting THEIR needs 1st, not yours. there is no such thing as spoiling a baby imo, it's called being a mom. i enjoyed rocking my babies.

Ladybugmama86
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 3:59 PM

I normally agree with you. But my 9 month old WILL NOT sleep during the day, and today (this has happened 3 times before) she was crying and crying and wouldnt nurse, she was rubbing her eyes and soooo completely exhausted she couldnt stand herself, so I took her to her room, laid her down, tucked her in and told her I loved her and shut the door as I left, less then 3 minutes later she was sound asleep and slept for an hour. So sometimes they just need a few minutes to get it out of their system and go to sleep. Other than that, no I do not agree with cio. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
MamaCity
by New Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 1:59 AM

YOU GO MAMA!!!!!

gcstar42
by Shara on Jul. 27, 2014 at 2:10 AM
1 mom liked this
Yeah I still lay in bed with my almost 5 yr old at least 3-4 nights out of the week probably. And even my 6 and 8 yr olds call me in to their room sometimes and want me to stay in there and sing them a song or tell them a story or something. I can't lie, sometimes I wish I would have gotten them used to going to sleep by themselves at an earlier age because like you said that would be much more convenient. I try to remind myself how precious those moments are with them though and that they won't last forever.
teenkabear
by Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 6:35 PM

I have seen babies cry for no reason--a lot.

I have seen babies dropping their bottle, sippy cup, toy, etc. on the floor, pretending it was an accident, because they wanted to play a game.

I don't believe for one moment that babies are not capable of "manipulation".

It is not what you do for your children, but what you have taught them to do for themselves, that will make them successful human beings.

Also, a little video games never hurt.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)