Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I used the self-checkout today, and it wasn't as hard as I'd thought.

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:15 PM
  • 93 Replies

At the grocery store today there was one lane open for big orders and one for small. I only had about 10 items and didn't want to stand in either the big order line or the small order line that was backed up. So I went to the self-checkout, which had no one there. I didn't have to search through a list for the kind of lettuce I had, the machine didn't yell at me for having too many items on the belt. Although it did get upset when I put the bags into the cart, so I must have done something wrong. But I didn't feel rushed about finding the money to pay, the items were packed as I like them packed. It wasn't totally a bad experience.

by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 10:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DSamuels
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:03 PM
1 mom liked this

The bagging area is built with a sensor so it knows that you are putting what you bought into bags. It can be a pain with things that are very light since it doesn't always "sense" that you've put the item in the bag. You're not supposed to remove the bags until after you're done and have paid. 

achorney
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I only use self checkout.

proudmommy690
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:20 PM
1 mom liked this
We pretty much always use the self check out. It can be a pain in the ass.
paper-bag
by Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:38 PM
1 mom liked this
That's all I use
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 12:14 AM
1 mom liked this

You keep all bags on the counter until you pay which hopefully  you figured out.  Way to go on conquering self check out.  We use them nearly every time we go to certain stores.  Other stores do not have them yet.

PS  most self checkouts have a button that says "put back in cart  or not putting in bag" to bypass the weight issue.

olliebob
by New Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 9:07 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm not saying this to be rude,  but by using self checkouts, you are taking someone's job away.  The unemployment rate is already high, and even low paying cashier jobs are desperately needed by many people.  I refuse to use self checkouts, even if I only have one item, on those reasons alone. 

Bmat
by Ruby Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Ah! So that's what I did wrong. I loaded the bags before paying. No wonder the machine was upset. But last time when I had a bigger order, the machine was critical because there was too much on the belt, so this time I tried to not have too much.

Quoting DSamuels:

The bagging area is built with a sensor so it knows that you are putting what you bought into bags. It can be a pain with things that are very light since it doesn't always "sense" that you've put the item in the bag. You're not supposed to remove the bags until after you're done and have paid. 

Bmat
by Ruby Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Thank you. I didn't know until it was answered above, too. Well now I know. But what about when you have a big order and there is no more room on the counter? I will look for the put back in cart button for sure.

Quoting frndlyfn:

You keep all bags on the counter until you pay which hopefully  you figured out.  Way to go on conquering self check out.  We use them nearly every time we go to certain stores.  Other stores do not have them yet.

PS  most self checkouts have a button that says "put back in cart  or not putting in bag" to bypass the weight issue.

risaspieces
by Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this
Our grocery store doesn't have self checkout, only Walmart does and they rarely work. I'd rather wait 30-45 mins in line than spend 30-45 mins getting annoyed with the self checkout.
Bmat
by Ruby Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh no no, I didn't take it as being rude. I actually hesitated about this before considering the self checkout, but I was running late and was tired and hungry and wanted to get home and not stand in line. The store should have opened more lanes. 

Quoting olliebob:

I'm not saying this to be rude,  but by using self checkouts, you are taking someone's job away.  The unemployment rate is already high, and even low paying cashier jobs are desperately needed by many people.  I refuse to use self checkouts, even if I only have one item, on those reasons alone. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN