Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How much do you budget for school clothes?

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:53 PM
  • 19 Replies

by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Uzma_mom_of_2
by on Jul. 25, 2014 at 11:56 PM

I don't have a set dollar amount, I usually buy 5 pairs of new pants, and 10 shirts.

I don't buy name brand anything if that helps.

I very rarely bother to check a board twice, so debate, get mad, or whatever it is that'll make you feel better, if you don't like what I have to say, because it won't bother me :)sticking out tongue

cowboygal
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 12:05 AM
Nothing. They get clothes throughout the year. Whether they need it or not. I get deals at Kohls and use 30% off coupon when I have. Besides, dd grows too fast to buy a lot at the beginning of the year. She went through almost three shoe sizes in a year. And from a size 10/12 pants to a size 14. Hopefully she slows down soon. She at my top of shoulder already and she 9 and I am 5'4. Ds is almost 11, three inches smaller then her brother and about the time I buy him a lot he will grow. Bought him 4 pairs of jeans for Christmas 2 years ago and then he finally grew a few months later and they no longer fit.
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 12:12 AM

100 usually for shoes and any odds/ends  she needs for outgrowing clothing.  She also gets a "1st day of school" outfit. A tradition we started when she was in kindergarten.

lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 12:18 AM

I didnt have set amount of money.  Each of my kids got~~~

5/6 pr of shorts

5 pr jeans

3 pr khakis

8/10 button down shirts

5 polo shirts

5/6 sweaters

5/6 hoodies

2 pr sneakers (1 for gym class)

1 pr of shoes

1 pr of timberland boots

1 pr snow boots

fall jacket

snowsuit , winter hat (2), mitten (3pr) new ball cap

9 pr boxer briefs

10 under shirts

dozen pr white socks

6 pr dress socks

Hottmomma607
by Trica on Jul. 26, 2014 at 12:57 AM
We don't have a budget. Just buy what they need.
Mom-does-hair
by Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 2:35 AM
I do not buy new school clothes per se. I get them new shoes and maybe a new outfit for the first day. It is still warm here, so it's dumb for me to go buy a bunch they can't wear, and I have learned that in the 2 months from warm to cold weather, they can easily outgrow pants that they have only worn a few times. Once it starts cooling down, I take them to get what they need.
ninipanini
by Ruby Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 9:50 AM

dd8 and ds11

$150 per kid, i had to widen ds' since he's in men's jeans now and to get the same number of pieces, i paid more compared to boys

i stayed within it this year too!  woohoo, that's just for their pants, shirts, etc.

dd got a new pair tennis in June and ds got a new pair in July so i didn't count that

circle_of_life
by Platinum Member on Jul. 26, 2014 at 10:00 AM

I buy stuff here and there all year round. They never need a whole new wardrobe for school. Everybody gets new socks and undies and new shoes. Then I get what few clothing pieces they may need to go with what they already have. I might spend 50-60 bucks on each kid.

alleaeon
by Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 9:48 AM
OMG that must cost you a small fortune!!!

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

I didnt have set amount of money.  Each of my kids got~~~

5/6 pr of shorts

5 pr jeans

3 pr khakis

8/10 button down shirts

5 polo shirts

5/6 sweaters

5/6 hoodies

2 pr sneakers (1 for gym class)

1 pr of shoes

1 pr of timberland boots

1 pr snow boots

fall jacket

snowsuit , winter hat (2), mitten (3pr) new ball cap

9 pr boxer briefs

10 under shirts

dozen pr white socks

6 pr dress socks

alleaeon
by Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 9:51 AM
That's around what i was thinking too. I know my parents budgeted 200 for me when i was in high school, but that didn't feel like enough from my perspective lol.

Quoting ninipanini:

dd8 and ds11

$150 per kid, i had to widen ds' since he's in men's jeans now and to get the same number of pieces, i paid more compared to boys

i stayed within it this year too!  woohoo, that's just for their pants, shirts, etc.

dd got a new pair tennis in June and ds got a new pair in July so i didn't count that

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN