Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

will walmart still hire my son?

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:54 PM
  • 21 Replies
My son wants to get a part-time job at Walmart at nights but our church said we can't work on Saturday on the Sabbath.Now I'm worried once he tells any employer this they will say no Saturdays no job.
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
d_k_w
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:55 PM

Since it's a religion thing it would be illegal, but having worked for them for years, I can tell you they are shady and most likely will find a way around it.

AlwaysKISA
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:55 PM
1 mom liked this
Probably not, honestly. It's like going in there and being like "I can't work on Christmas". You have to work your shifts, like everyone else.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kaybayblee3
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:57 PM

I'm sure they'll give him a partime job, but be sure that he's upfront about it from the begining. If it's just one day thing they might understand, it's when people get in there and start with "I can't work these 4 or so days from this time to this time" that they might just look him over. Just know that he probably will be working on that day from time to time though.

aj23
by Gold Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:58 PM

Probably not. Part time employees usually work the most hours on the weekends and with not being able to work on one of the busiest days that puts a big damper on his availability. They'd rather choose someone who has more open availability.

HaileysMom07180
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this

its illegal 

RoseWall
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:34 PM
maybe.
he just needs to make sure he puts his actual availability on the app.
his chances of hire are higher if his availability is for the busiest days. which are the weekend.
heybooboo
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:43 PM
2 moms liked this

It's only illegal if they discriminate against him because of his religious affiliation, OR they fire him because of his religion. 

If his availability states he is not able to work on a Saturday, due to it being Sabbath.  But the company specifically needs employees for Saturday, it's perfectly legal for them to hire someone else.  Or fire him because his availability does not meet the needs of the company.  It's not because of his religion, it's because his availability doesn't meet the needs of the company.

Where it becomes illegal, is if he was not given a job specifically because of his religion.  IE "We can't hire you because you are Catholic".  Or because he is treated differently, usually negatively, because of a person's religion.  IE Singling out an employee, due to their religion, and making it difficult for them to effectively do their job.

Quoting HaileysMom07180:

its illegal 

Maime13
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 4:59 PM

If he is clear about his limitations and open to working other "less desirable" shifts, I doubt they wouldn't hire him. However, he should fully expect them to still try to schedule him for work on Saturdays.

If he can't work on Saturdays, retail might not be the best employment for him. Pretty much everyone is expected to do their time and new hires especially get the short end of the stick. Walmart doesn't strike me as the kind of place where you could secure a 1st shift, M-F type position.

HaileysMom07180
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 5:24 PM

oh yeah, you are right.  i was thinking on the religion side of things, but i can see that, especially if he knew before hand they needed someone on weekends and still applied for the job.

Quoting heybooboo:

It's only illegal if they discriminate against him because of his religious affiliation, OR they fire him because of his religion. 

If his availability states he is not able to work on a Saturday, due to it being Sabbath.  But the company specifically needs employees for Saturday, it's perfectly legal for them to hire someone else.  Or fire him because his availability does not meet the needs of the company.  It's not because of his religion, it's because his availability doesn't meet the needs of the company.

Where it becomes illegal, is if he was not given a job specifically because of his religion.  IE "We can't hire you because you are Catholic".  Or because he is treated differently, usually negatively, because of a person's religion.  IE Singling out an employee, due to their religion, and making it difficult for them to effectively do their job.

Quoting HaileysMom07180:

its illegal 

Anoronlight
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 5:31 PM
Having worked at walmart and the retail gig before, it's very possible they won't! Saturdays and Sundays are their biggest days, they will tend to rotate people sometimes, but you are still required to work Saturdays and work some of them. I wouldn't hold your breath.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)