Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do you find this doll offensive?

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:32 PM
  • 41 Replies

Doll With Penis Called 'Inappropriate' by Uptight Parents

by Mary Fischer

Uh-oh. A new toy on the market has some parents all bent out of shape, all because it's anatomically correct, which is, you know -- scandalous!

The Toys R' Us doll has a penis and is part of the You & Me Mommy Change My Diaper doll collection. And since the thing went on sale, Facebook has been blowing up with comments from parents who are deeming the doll to be "inappropriate" and "unnecessary."

penis doll

Did I mention it also cries when its underpants are wet?

Yep. This thing is just about as realistic as plastic babies can possibly get.

And while this photo doesn't depict the actual doll, it gives you a good idea of what has people all in a tizzy.

penis doll

Boom! That's a penis, all right -- but is this really such a big deal? It's not like it's a life-sized doll of a grown man or something ... it's a baby. And the last time I checked, baby boys do have penises, so doesn't it kind of make sense for this thing to have one as opposed to taking off its diaper and finding ... nothing down there?

And given the young age of children who typically play with baby dolls, it's not like they're going to look at this toy and go, "OMG! It has a penis!" If anything, they won't even bat an eyelash, since they haven't yet learned to associate parts of the body with anything sexual.

The only reason this doll is at all controversial is because some parents are making it that way. As for whether or not I'd have a problem letting my child play with it? Nope. Not at all. Granted, maybe I'm a little bit biased because I have a boy. Seeing the same body part that he has would not faze him in the slightest -- but by the same token, I really doubt I'd have an issue with it if I had a daughter either. I'd honestly rather her ask me why her baby doll has different parts than she does than have her inquire as to why there are none. (Just sayin'.)

On that note, it's your turn to weigh in.

Do you find this doll offensive?

by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Patty_cakes
by New Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:37 PM
4 moms liked this
I don't find it offensive. I think boys and girls should learn at a young age that boys and girls are different.
jconney80
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:39 PM
3 moms liked this
Not at all! I'm very matter of fact when discussing genitals of each gender with my kids. I've seen doll's like this before. No big deal. I think it's strange when they have nothing there
Clara78
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:41 PM
1 mom liked this
No I don't find it offensive.
jconney80
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:42 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree! I'd rather they find out young and from me

Quoting Patty_cakes: I don't find it offensive. I think boys and girls should learn at a young age that boys and girls are different.
mymanben
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:42 PM
They had these dolls when I was a kid. I see nothing wrong with it
HIJKLM
by Gold Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:43 PM
2 moms liked this
I had dolls like this when I was a kid. My dad bought them when my twin brothers were born. I see no problem with the doll... The box on the other hand kinda creeps me out... Notice the heart is right at the crotch?
petitekatie
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:44 PM
I wouldnt specifically go looking for it. But if my kid chose It off of the shelf. I'd buy it.
proudmommy690
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:45 PM
Nope nothing offensive about that. People get so mad over nothing!
mrsmoonbeam
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:46 PM
3 moms liked this
NO I dont find it offensive it pisses me off when some up tight parent leads a crusade to have some toy taken off the market because they find it offensive!. They cant just NOT buy it for their own kid but since THEY dont like it they want it off the shelves.
MommyMcBride14
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:47 PM
I don't see it as offensive at all
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN