Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My 2 year old will NOT sleep alone, help!

Posted by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 2:23 PM
  • 7 Replies

Mobile Photo

It's getting to the point where it's stressing me out beyond belief, she use to be so good with sleeping in her own room by herself but these days she won't do it. I'm having to lay with her Everynight until she falls asleep and if I just lay her in the bed and shut the door she screams. I'm torn on what to do.

Does anyone have any advice for me?
by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 2:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Andrea_lasha
by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 3:18 PM
Everyone will bash me on this.. but oh well. I let my daughter watch mickey mouse or gigglebellies on an old cell phone with wifi and she just falls asleep within mjnutes. But I have a monitor on her and make sure it's not on her or anything.
Andrea_lasha
by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 3:22 PM
She's so cute btw.
TallBeth
by Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 6:34 AM
Lay with her long enough to comfort her and let her know you're there, but not until she's asleep. Then get up and close the door. She's going to scream. Every 5 minutes or so go into her room, bring her back to bed, and comfort her again, but again don't stay with her until she's asleep. Then leave and close the door again.

This is going to be really hard. But after a couple of weeks she should be going to sleep without you being there and without screaming. It worked for my son when he was 2 (he's now 11). I'll warn you though, if she's anything like my son she's going to be waking up and coming into your bed in the middle of the night until she's 4 or 5.
DyerMaker
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 6:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Break this early as you can. There are going to be tears, but she will survive, and so will you. I figured my son would outgrow this phase and heis 5 now and I am trying to get him OUT of my bed. It hasn't slept in my bed in a good 2 weeks, and is "camping" in a tent in his room. It affected my marriage, health, and a lot more. 

If she needs a soothing. Item, like a blanket, use it. Let her outgrow THAT. 

Yellow_Lileigh
by Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 6:53 AM
Good ideas and very similar to Supernanny Jo Frost's approach to bedtime difficulties. She also recommends that the first time you put them back in bed you say "goodnight, love you," etc. but after that don't say anything at all. Just put them back silently because talking to them at all is just an encouragement for them to keep getting up.

Quoting TallBeth: Lay with her long enough to comfort her and let her know you're there, but not until she's asleep. Then get up and close the door. She's going to scream. Every 5 minutes or so go into her room, bring her back to bed, and comfort her again, but again don't stay with her until she's asleep. Then leave and close the door again.

This is going to be really hard. But after a couple of weeks she should be going to sleep without you being there and without screaming. It worked for my son when he was 2 (he's now 11). I'll warn you though, if she's anything like my son she's going to be waking up and coming into your bed in the middle of the night until she's 4 or 5.
jconney80
by Platinum Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 8:01 PM

I would talk about it throughout the day. Look up a social story about it and slowly cut out the amount of time that you are in there. You can Google "bedtime social stories" and find one. I use those and print them out then talk about it all day. Then when you want to pull back a little bit at a time you talka bout the changes. You can even use positive incentives for when she wakes up if she goes to bed by herself.I've found doing gradual changes slowly but surely helps a lot. It gives them time to adjust. 

seriousbookworm
by on Aug. 6, 2014 at 8:18 PM
Is there anything in her room scaring her?
Is there a light on where she can see? Sometimes shadows are scary.
Ask her about it. If she says no, I just want you, it's time to break the habit.
I used to tuck mine in, say a prayer, sing a song with her, tell her I loved her then leave. My daughter was this way for a while.
It took a week of letting her holler for 10 mins at a time, then peeking in on her, then leaving again before she figured out I meant it.
Usually she would finally fall asleep.
She probably needs a special "sleepy" blankie, or bear that she picks out and only gets when she is ready for bed.
By the way, she is adorable. Good luck momma:)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)