Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Pooping Issues

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 11:54 PM
  • 6 Replies
Hey I'm Ashley, new to Cafe mom!

I have a 3 year old son, Jace. We have been doing great with potty training as far as peeing in the potty but pooping is been very hard! He doesn't have a regular or even somewhat regular pooping pattern. He doesn't just poop a lot 1-3 times a day, he probably does a tiny amount 8-12 times a day. Its usually a tiny amount or even just a streak in his pull up. If you add it all up its a normal amount of poop so I dont know if he's constipated or not. I hate to give him something if he's not, ya know? Anyone else have this problem. Really appreciate any advice!!
by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 11:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
funhappymom
by on Aug. 8, 2014 at 8:59 AM

Has he always been this way or just since you've been potty training him? It's very possibly that if it's only been since you started PT that he is refusing to poop in the potty and is holding it. Because he's holding it, it's not an all at once kind of thing and it being staggard over the day instead.

If you're concern, you could try giving him a bit of prune juice in a cup of water. It could help him go. Otherwise, encourage him, let him know that pooping in the potty is a good thing, there is nothing to be scared of and reward him if he does it.

aj23
by Gold Member on Aug. 8, 2014 at 9:26 AM
He may be holding it or just not know he needs to push it out. My son had a lot of pooping isssues that I won't get into that started out similar to that. In the end giving him Benefiber daily was what helped.
LancesMom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 8, 2014 at 9:50 AM

I agree he is holding it and when he can't anymore he goes just enough to releive the pressure. Some kids are funny that way. Try to let him know he won't have tummy pressure if he goes and lets it all out. LOL! Good luck!

emma2000
by New Member on Aug. 8, 2014 at 10:51 AM
Pooping small amounts several times a day and a streak in his pullup sounds like constipation to me. He might have a hard stool in his colon that is acting like a plug. The small amounts and the soft stuff that is getting around it is all that is able to come out.

I would back off on potty training and get him regular again. If he associates pooping with pain he definitely will not want to poop at all much less in the toilet. By all means talk to your pediatrician as well.
amonkeymom
by Platinum Member on Aug. 8, 2014 at 12:24 PM

This is good advice, but if it continues I'd be sure to talk to his pediatrician!

Quoting funhappymom:

Has he always been this way or just since you've been potty training him? It's very possibly that if it's only been since you started PT that he is refusing to poop in the potty and is holding it. Because he's holding it, it's not an all at once kind of thing and it being staggard over the day instead.

If you're concern, you could try giving him a bit of prune juice in a cup of water. It could help him go. Otherwise, encourage him, let him know that pooping in the potty is a good thing, there is nothing to be scared of and reward him if he does it.

beachingal_4
by New Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 11:14 AM
Thanks! He has been constipated on and off for a while. Every time I bring it up to the pediatrician they just say give him miralax until he starts going again then keep giving it to him everyday. And what's weird is even after he has a large poop (with or without the medicine) he will still have the small ones throughout the day. I think its a combination of being constipated and just every time he squats down he thinks he has to push some out. Maybe I should try the bene fiber. As most 3 year olds he doesn't have a very fiber filled diet. Anyone ever given kids activia?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)