• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moving to Colorado...Need advice

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 12:58 PM
  • 18 Replies
Since 1990 I have been living in Texas. I haven't moved away because I wanted a stable home to raise my 2 sons that are grown up now. I truly don't like living in Tx & in the near future I want to possibly move to Colorado Springs or Fountain,Colorado to be near mountains & enjoy the beautiful nature, but I'm afraid of making such a big move because I don't know how harsh the Winters are & if there are a lot of Floodings
as well as Forest Fires as I see on the news & YouTube. I read nice things about these 2 towns; (or are they cities?) What are the negatives if any that I need to know about both of them? What parts or areas do I need NOT live at or be at? Also, what areas can I find a 2 bedroom 2 bath house for rent for under $900? I make under $22,000 a year & I can't live in apartments. Thank you all for your much needed advice & replies.
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 12:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ELKmountain.mom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:30 PM
1 mom liked this
I didn't live in those towns but the winters are not harsh. I live in texas now and the winters suck here. The humidity makes 50 freezing and awful here where back home in CO people wear flip flops at that temp. Yes it snows but it melts the next day and like I said 50 here is like 25 there. It has to be really cold in Colorado for it to feel bone chilling like it does here. The fires aren't as bad as they seem, it happens but it's not all over or anything. It's just part of living in dry heat.
There are no Mosquitos biting you to death, it cools at night so you can enjoy the evening, summers are mild compared to tx and since there are 4 true seasons by the time you get sick of something it's changing. Price wise it's not a cheap state but I lived in more expensive areas. The taxes are higher here in argyle than anything back home but there is state tax so I guess it balances out. Home prices are about the same here and there but again you can find less expensive towns.
Good luck
skittleshawk
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:32 PM

dont forget the pot 

BaskinsJunkie1
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 2:00 PM
Fountain would be cheaper. But there you won't have as many options for shopping or things to do. Winters suck. It's cold but it's not like we live on Antarctica. Lol. And if you do move, make sure to buy stock in lotion. It's dry here compared to TX. Good luck on the move.
MariaDallasTX
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 2:12 PM
Thank you Elkmountain.mom & BaskinJunkie1 for your helpful replies. I'm not understanding skittlehawk reply which wasn't helpful & didn't answer any of my questions or concerns.
BaskinsJunkie1
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 4:47 PM
Hahaha skittlehawk is referring to the fact that colorado is a legal cannabis state. Although it seems it out of staters are more excited about this.
HeavenonEarth81
by Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 5:11 PM

I live in Littleton Colorado so not too far from the springs. Fountain is beautiful but expensive.... Wish I could give better advice

Mamatobe15
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 5:19 PM

Here's a bump! 

thatgirl70
by Carin on Aug. 10, 2014 at 7:56 PM
1 mom liked this
No advice, I'm in TX too. Take me with you! *clings to your leg*

Colorado Springs is beautiful, been there a couple of times on vacation and that's where I would choose to live.

We have family outside of Denver. The winters can be a little harsh sometimes, but the nice thing about CO is that they are prepared when it hits. They've got the snow plow equipment and such, the roads are roads are cleared fast. You doubt have to worry about cold weather gear, plenty of shops to find them.
MariaDallasTX
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Quoting Mamatobe15:

Here's a bump! 

What does that mean?

Mamatobe15
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 8:18 PM
1 mom liked this
It's bumping your post to the top so others will see it and be able to give you advice better than I can.

Quoting MariaDallasTX:

Quoting Mamatobe15:

Here's a bump! 

What does that mean?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)