Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How long until your kids should sleep in there own beds?

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 11:31 PM
  • 17 Replies
My boyfriend prefers his daughter to sleep in bed with us. I prefer her to sleep in her own bed because I think she is of age to be in her own bed. Plus I don't feel like I have complete privacy with him either. I feel like I need a break at times since we spend most of my time together while he's at work. She is three years old. Plus she wets the bed but not as much as she used to. Plus we are having another baby here in 2 weeks. Am I wrong for my opinion? Need some advice.
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 11:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
booaura
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 11:35 PM
It's his child, unless you are taking on the role of mother. We co slept, and we moved the older child into their own room when we were having a new baby, which was always around 2 years old. That's what we agreed on and what works for us. Uou have to discuss this with him, and figure out what works for your family. Is his daughter with him all the time? How old is she? What does he say when you talk to him about this?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
megz0511
by Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 11:36 PM
Wow. Our ds is two and he has slept in our bed exactly 3 times. How often is she there? How does her mom feel about it? Where does she sleep at her mom's? I couldn't imagine a little one sleeping in bed every night.
lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 11:39 PM
1 mom liked this
My babies came home from the hospital and went into their cribs in their own rooms.
lindz0311
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 11:41 PM
I am taking a motherly role with her. We have her 50/50. She is three years old almost four. I told him how I feel about it but he doesn't like the fact that she will not be insight of him at night time. As a matter of fact. I asked him what are we going to do when our new baby comes. His thought was that all four of us sleep in the same bed or to make his little one a bed next to ours.
lindz0311
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 11:46 PM
I believe she sleeps with mom as well. I feel horrible. I dont want him to think I'm kicking her out but Somtimes it's exhausting. I'm super pregnant and I'm already not sleeping well. I feel like the bad guy all the time. Plus he never presses her the go to bed at a decent time.

Quoting megz0511: Wow. Our ds is two and he has slept in our bed exactly 3 times. How often is she there? How does her mom feel about it? Where does she sleep at her mom's? I couldn't imagine a little one sleeping in bed every night.
annie82
by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 12:20 AM
I would go with what he suggested setting up a toddler bed next to your bed..... Then slowly move her into her own room.
It's hard because this is a decision needing to be made by her parents.... And they are obviously not ready to end her co-sleeping yet as evidenced by the fact she is co-sleeping with her mum and your bf is unwilling to change.
However in your home he needs to consider your feelings and needs also when he makes decisions parenting his child.
4 in the bed is very crowded though....
For the record I have co-slept with each of my kids from around 6 mths til about 4 yrs when they started to become confident with the idea of moving into their own space.
MamaBearEH
by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 12:42 AM
Cosleeping is a personal family decision. There is no absolute age it has to stop at.

Have you considered sleeping somewhere else if you're the one that's not ok with it? Might give you some space and a better night sleep if cosleeping is not something you're comfortable with.
lindz0311
by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 12:41 PM
Yes ive slept on the couch or in another room countless times but he gets upset that I don't sleep next to him. I don't think he realizes that we can't have sex because he doesn't put her to bed and I can't sleep at 2 in the morning cause she's jumping on the bed. I'm due in 2 weeks and I feel like I deserve at least a few hours of alone time with him at night. Plus she doesn't like it when he gives me any attention so she'll tell him to stop and most of the time he listens to her. :/

Quoting MamaBearEH: Cosleeping is a personal family decision. There is no absolute age it has to stop at.

Have you considered sleeping somewhere else if you're the one that's not ok with it? Might give you some space and a better night sleep if cosleeping is not something you're comfortable with.
maecntpntz219
by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this

BIRTH!! Lol I was never comfortable with our son in bed with us except for maybe naptime or if he was sick or had a bad dream.

MamaBearEH
by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 2:57 PM

You definitely deserve your rest no matter what they choose to do.  He needs to understand that, and not be upset for you trying to get a good night's rest - even if it's not with him.

Maybe I'm the strict one... but if jumping on the bed is happening at any hour there needs to be some discipline going on.  It's not a bleeding trampoline at any hour of the day!  Have you talked to him about wanting to have sex, but not being able to?  Men can be daft... and pregnancy throws all kinds of wrenches in there when it comes to sex.

Quoting lindz0311: Yes ive slept on the couch or in another room countless times but he gets upset that I don't sleep next to him. I don't think he realizes that we can't have sex because he doesn't put her to bed and I can't sleep at 2 in the morning cause she's jumping on the bed. I'm due in 2 weeks and I feel like I deserve at least a few hours of alone time with him at night. Plus she doesn't like it when he gives me any attention so she'll tell him to stop and most of the time he listens to her. :/
Quoting MamaBearEH: Cosleeping is a personal family decision. There is no absolute age it has to stop at. Have you considered sleeping somewhere else if you're the one that's not ok with it? Might give you some space and a better night sleep if cosleeping is not something you're comfortable with.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)