Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Should thrift store workers be allowed to get all the best stuff?

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2014 at 1:59 PM
  • 31 Replies

I admired DDs friend's coat. Her mother informed me it was a coat which her mother had got from the charity shop in which she volunteers and said she brings home loads of good, name brand stuff.

Even if the volunteer pays a nominal price, it means the shop is deprived of stock, and if the shop only stocks horrible old stuff then people won't bother to go in. You can't imagine a boutique, say, allowing its staff to buy all the prime stuff first so there's nothing left to attract customers.

by on Aug. 12, 2014 at 1:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bethgoedeken
by Silver Member on Aug. 12, 2014 at 2:01 PM
5 moms liked this

A staff member's money is the same as anyone elses. I don't see a problem with it.

hismommy2010
by on Aug. 12, 2014 at 2:06 PM
I get your point. Sure the volunteer still pays, but it doesnt help draw in more customers
December_mom
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:53 AM
1 mom liked this

I think she probably only volunteers there so she can score awesome stuff.

Quoting bethgoedeken:

A staff member's money is the same as anyone elses. I don't see a problem with it.

mrswillie
by Ruby Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:56 AM
2 moms liked this
But what one person likes, another does not. Sizes make a difference also. Lastly, others can volunteer their time to get the same perk.
shelly69
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:58 AM

In this economy who can blame her...she is giving up her time & in return she gets great deals... nothing wrong with that...

Avajay2
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:01 AM
5 moms liked this
I see your point but if it bothers you so much go volunteer there yourself. I'm sure they'd welcome your time and effort :). On the contrary have you actually seen the kind of things volunteers have to dig through to find these great finds?
bethgoedeken
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:56 AM

So why don't you go volunteer there then? She's still doing a good deed. If she gets a good deal, then so what. I imagine that access to good stuff is one of the perks of helping there. 

Quoting December_mom:

Quoting bethgoedeken:

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this
I used to work at the Disney Store and I spent way more than I ever earned there!

Quoting December_mom:

Quoting bethgoedeken:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JRSMOM0621
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I use to work at a thrift store. It was a rule that you cannot buy anything the first week it was placed on the store floor. If you did you were talked to if you did it again you were fired.

Proud mommy of 2 boys and a beautiful angel

Mygirl30248
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:32 PM
No biggie is the perk if volunteering. I used to at a thrift store for years brought DD with me & all everyone got great stuff & the store was beyond popular still.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN