Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

20 months and not talking

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:32 AM
  • 5 Replies

Hi Mamas! I'm in need of advice for my 20 month old son. He's happy, and loving, and just an all around great kid. The only problem is that he doesn't say more than two words. He says "mama", "dada", and that's pretty much it. If I say "no no", he will repeat it, and on one occasion I heard him say "kisses".....but that was one time and I haven't heard it since. Same with the word "duck", that I've heard him say maybe twice. He understands everything I say to him, and he can point to a few body parts on himself. I am getting him evaluated next week at a private speech therapy center. I'm so concerned, and I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience? I know boys are late talkers, but my son seems very behind in the language department compared to other kids his age. What can I do to help him? I'm a stay at home mom, so he doesn't have as much interaction with other children as I would like. Will he ever start talking??????? Thanks mamas :)

by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
momma_bock
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:46 AM

My daughter was that way.  At 2 years old I began to wonder how such a otherwise bright child could be unable to really have any sort of conversation outside of "momma" "daddy" and the occasional "no".  Well, I didn't take her to get evaluated because I was 20 when I had her and wasn't really sure that her lack of speech was not normal.  I am happy to report that the child just didn't have much to say at the time and when she began to speak, it was in complete sentences.  She is now 17 and in the top 5% of her graduating class.  She has scholarships from near and far and is the smartest most respectful child I know.  Don't stress momma!  Get the baby evaluated but know that it's not a reason to panic just yet.  Addison's first full sentence was at almost 3 and was "The erf (earth) is infinately small momma"

Barronbaby
by Gold Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:50 AM
I've had 2 in speech therapy... one who requires special ed preschool to help him finish catching up. They do talk eventually. For my older son he was 3 and decided he was done being quiet. Now I can't keep him quiet. The other one, it's clicking but he's not pronouncing word endings. He's almost 3.5. Hoping the preschool will be more help.
PeachQuean
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:02 AM
My dd is 2.5 yrs old with a speech delay, but hers is medical.

She has Choanal Atresia.

Meaning her nasal passages are blocked, preventing her from breathing through her nose. Because of this she can't properly form certain words based on the formation and the breath we take through our noses.

It can be very frustrating at times.

We started speech therapy at 12 months, early yes but that's cause of the known causes of Choanal Atresia.

I wouldn't worry tho, some kids don't talk till they are 3 or 4 and when they do they talk none stop.

Just keep talking and hang in there.

Ninasorellina
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:27 PM

Thank you ladies is much for your input! You guys have given me some hope, and I have heard that once little kids start talking, they don't stop! Momma_bock, that's so amazing to hear about your daughter, good for her! I appreciate the advice, and that "fist full sentence" was adorable! Barronbaby Im sure that preschool will help, being around all those other kids will be good for him :) I'm tempted to put my son In preschool early if the speech doesn't improve. If only it wasn't so gosh darn expensive haha! Thanks for the advice PeachQuean! Is your daughter improving with the speech therapy? 

amonkeymom
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 2:23 PM

It's hard to say what's going on at 20 months, so I'm glad you're having him evaluated by a therapist but you may want to check with a behavioral pediatrician too.  It could be completely normal, but it could be a sign of something else, always better to be safe than sorry.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)