Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Coupons.. a waste?!

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:58 PM
  • 11 Replies

Too often companies waste thousands of dollars every single day, just by giving you coupons. Recently I was in a local department store and saw a customer receive a large amount of paper coupons from the company machine. As the customer mumbled words calling the paper coupons a 'waste', it had me thinking.. how much are these companies actually wasting by trying to give the consumer more value?

Although I can't answer that question accurately, I can say that after talking with that customer I realized they were right. Companies are wasting money, thousands everyday by offering what they think consumers will want to save on through paper coupons.

Think about this for a moment, how many coupons are you actually using each week? With the exception of the extreme coupon-er, my guess is that your answer is not many. If you're anything like myself, you look forward to.. READ MORE HERE

What do YOU think? Are companies wasting their money? How much do you save with your coupons?

bang head on keyboard

Click HERE to read more!

by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:58 PM
Edited by
on
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RKL10
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Well I don't know much about coupons but I know we get them and I look through them. A lot of the time it's only 50 cents off two items even though each item is 7.00 - 10.00 each. so to me that's pointless and I don't have time or patience to figure out how you can double coupons or all of that.
mna_823
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:16 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm a coupon mom, by no means extreme but on average I save 20-30% so for me it's worth it.
Bmat
by Emerald Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I have been using ecoupons more often that load onto my store card- I don't have to carry them around or store them.

Momtogirls0823
by Gold Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 2:18 AM

It's really weird when I clicked the link to read more it said Forbidden and that I couldn't access that part of CM.  I've been a member for a long time.  What gives?

thatgirl70
by Carin on Aug. 15, 2014 at 2:53 AM

I honestly can't stand dealing with printed coupons, I'd rather use an app. I do Swagbucks and I could actually earn some by using coupons more, but I don't like to have to print them, cut them out and sort them. It's time consuming and a waste of paper. There is an option for people to add coupons to a loyalty card, but unfortunately the grocery stores here don't have such a program (well one just came out with loyalty cards, but I don't foresee being able to use these coupon programs with it, at least not for awhile).

thatgirl70
by Carin on Aug. 15, 2014 at 2:57 AM

Just a glitch, happens to me every now and then, sometimes you just have to refresh the page.

Quoting Momtogirls0823:

It's really weird when I clicked the link to read more it said Forbidden and that I couldn't access that part of CM.  I've been a member for a long time.  What gives?

HIJKLM
by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 2:58 AM
1 mom liked this
A lot of people will buy a product they wouldn't normally buy because they have a coupon. Some people will forget their coupon or not realize it's expired and still buy the item. For the company putting out the coupon it's not a waste or they wouldn't do it.
Yellow_Lileigh
by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 3:01 AM
1 mom liked this
My last grocery trip I saved 57% off my total by stacking coupons and sales. Totally worth it to me. Especially since I don't have to take the time to match them up. A ton of websites and apps already do that. And last month my MIL used all the coupons Kohl's had been giving her and with those and sales she got a couple hundred dollars worth of clothing for about $30.
Yellow_Lileigh
by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 3:03 AM
1 mom liked this
Exactly. Major retailers and manufacturers pay people big bucks to research stuff like this. They're not going to continue a practice if it doesn't make them more $ in the long run.

Quoting HIJKLM: A lot of people will buy a product they wouldn't normally buy because they have a coupon. Some people will forget their coupon or not realize it's expired and still buy the item. For the company putting out the coupon it's not a waste or they wouldn't do it.
blinker612
by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 3:09 AM
Coupons don't have to be time consuming. I use them when I can. But yes there are apps now that make it easier. It just depends on the person. Without too much effort I've been able to save 25% on a regular basis and with a little bit of planning between 30 and 50%

I don't do it all the time but when I have a lot of stuff to buy for things I know usually have coupons I go for it!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)