Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How much square footage do you need in a home?

Posted by on Aug. 26, 2014 at 12:38 PM
  • 127 Replies

I'm a HGTV junkie and when I watch House Hunters, it always seems that Americans are searching for 2500 sq ft houses with huge master bedrooms with even bigger bathrooms.Then on House Hunters International the Europeans are living in 800 sq ft homes. How much space is ideal for a family of 4 in your opinion? What are your "must haves" in a home? (e.g. A garage, a room for each kid, an en suite bathroom, a yard, double sinks, etc).

by on Aug. 26, 2014 at 12:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mygirl30248
by Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 12:42 PM

Where I live nobody discusses square feet lol I hear about it all the time but not a single person I know here (maine) every says "my apartment/house is XXX square feet" 

Either it's big enough or not lol I honestly can't picture a house of 800 square feet or 2500 square feet! 

But people on House Hunters are not your average americans I do not think bc their budgets are insane! More like upper middle class! 

Also layout is a huge factor. You can have all the square feet you want but if the rooms are all walled off, laid out wrong etc then it don't matter. Less square feet w/ more open ness I would imagine would be more then fine. 

carolina_gal
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 12:44 PM

I have seen people say,  oh, the bathroom is so small.   I gasp becuase it's about 4 of my bathrooms put together. 

Do you have any must haves?  Must have 2 bathrooms, must have a garage?

Quoting Mygirl30248:

Where I live nobody discusses square feet lol I hear about it all the time but not a single person I know here (maine) every says "my apartment/house is XXX square feet" 

Either it's big enough or not lol I honestly can't picture a house of 800 square feet or 2500 square feet! 

But people on House Hunters are not your average americans I do not think bc their budgets are insane! More like upper middle class! 

Also layout is a huge factor. You can have all the square feet you want but if the rooms are all walled off, laid out wrong etc then it don't matter. Less square feet w/ more open ness I would imagine would be more then fine. 

caustinb
by Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 12:46 PM
I have no idea how many square feet my house is. It's a 3 bd, 2.5 ba, and I feel crammed in sometimes. Two adults, two kids.
TheLadyAmalthea
by Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 12:50 PM
I would like 3 bedrooms. I have two kids, one boy one girl. If we had two boys or two girls, a two bedroom house would be fine. I don't need huge bedrooms. I'd say 1200 would work fine. We used to live in a 1000sqft two bedroom house, but we sold it. I was watching hgtv yesterday and this couple remodeled their house with 100k. They were also considering buying a house well over a million dollars. The show was in Canada though... They don't show average people in these shows. They have to keep it interesting, I guess.
Mygirl30248
by Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 12:50 PM

Well I have never bought a house, I'm young 28 years old. But SO & I poke around as we are going to buy one (he currently takes care of his elderly grandmother at her farm house so we don't live together just yet but someday we will). 

I need 3 bedrooms as I have DD then of course we need a bedroom & we would possibly like to have child some day. SO says short driveway, with the snow storms he doesn't want to get caught waking up at 3am to shovel to get to work. I need a decent useable yard & where he wants it near the road like that the majority of that useable yard to play & plant needs to be in the backyard (I refuse to allow children to play by the road unless we put up a fence, he doesn't want a fence so useable backyard it is lol). Heating needs to be resonable as well so either pellet stove or energy effecient ways to heat I guess (he knows what he is looking for with that more then me). SO does not want the garage attached the house in case of a house fire (I don't have a preference, I'd like it to be attached but I understand his reason). One story house is what we both prefer (me now bc my cousins had a house fire & had to leap out of second story window & throw their DS down to the ground he was 9 months old then this was recent so I'm scared of the idea of that). 

Ummmm so far that is all we have really discussed lol 

Quoting carolina_gal:

I have seen people say,  oh, the bathroom is so small.   I gasp becuase it's about 4 of my bathrooms put together. 

Do you have any must haves?  Must have 2 bathrooms, must have a garage?

Quoting Mygirl30248:

Mommy4-27-08
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 12:53 PM
We have a 1400sqft home, only 3 beds and 1 bath. My list of must haves when we bought this house were all covered, now my list would be different after actually owning a house.

My must haves now would be:
*3-4 bedrooms
*extra living room/den/bonus room for kids to play
*2 bathrooms
*large yard
*fireplace
*hardwood floors
*pantry

Right now I have a lot of those things covered, but not all of them. A huge chunk of our square footage is our playroom which was a two car garage that got turned into an extra living room. We have a beautiful river rock fireplace with a wood stove. That's my fav thing. My kids have plenty of space.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SBF124
by New Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 12:53 PM

We have a 4 bd/2ba house. It has a living room, family room and 2 dining rooms. It is too big for me. I thought it was amazing when we bought it, but now I just realize it's more space to clean, more carpet to replace, etc. We have one child. Lol.

J-KsMommy
by on Aug. 26, 2014 at 1:02 PM
I wouldn't want to go back to under 2000sq ft and at least 3 bathroom. Space and many toilets are my musts lol.
carolina_gal
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 1:13 PM

Is it an older home? Or newer?

Quoting caustinb: I have no idea how many square feet my house is. It's a 3 bd, 2.5 ba, and I feel crammed in sometimes. Two adults, two kids.

carolina_gal
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 1:14 PM

How old ar eyou kids?

I know sometimes they show homes that are super expensive but a lot of times not so much.  I like to see when they take the fixer uppers.

Quoting TheLadyAmalthea: I would like 3 bedrooms. I have two kids, one boy one girl. If we had two boys or two girls, a two bedroom house would be fine. I don't need huge bedrooms. I'd say 1200 would work fine. We used to live in a 1000sqft two bedroom house, but we sold it. I was watching hgtv yesterday and this couple remodeled their house with 100k. They were also considering buying a house well over a million dollars. The show was in Canada though... They don't show average people in these shows. They have to keep it interesting, I guess.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)