Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What if?

Posted by on Aug. 30, 2014 at 2:35 PM
  • 5 Replies
Another post got me thinking, if your child a live or brain dead could save another life either sibling or not would you do it? I have kidney disease, possible kidney failure I'll know more Sept 4, but my family has never kept it a secret and we have known since we first found out about my kidneys I would need a transplant. I have four brothers who are 100% full related and a half sister. My parents never assumed my brothers would "save" me, but they did hope it was a possibility. Thankfully my parents never had to find out, but if they did it would have been up to my brothers to decide if they wanted to donate a kidney. Just like now, my Ds has something wrong with his knees and legs we're not sure what, I am pregnant with another baby and if this baby could help Ds then I will do what I think as best not to hurt either child.

My point is this as parents we want the best for our children, but what if our children can decide what is best? If they can help another child without dying would you let them? Would you tell them the good the bad the ugly and let them decide? I get we don't want to hurt or let our children get hurt but if want to help even if it means pain would you be okay with it, with their choice?

This is more for a thought process and discussion then a bash fest, this as a personal choice has been something close to my heart that someone with kidney disease and a child, soon to be children I do think about often and would let my child help another. I would be more then willing to take one step at a time I would talk to my children about what they could do to help either at this time a friend or relative (Ds is 5 yrs old) and what it would mean, take each step. Finding out if one is even a match before proceeding further.

I'm sure many wont agree with me and as sad as that is I understand. Just some food for thought and sorry it got so long.
by on Aug. 30, 2014 at 2:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
beadingmom17
by Rachel on Aug. 30, 2014 at 2:42 PM
I would and will always encourage my kids to help each other (and others). I think forcing it or purposely having another kid for "spare parts" is wrong, but I would certainly hope my girls would want to do whatever they could to save their sister.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bookoholic
by Silver Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 2:49 PM
I don't plan nor does my family plan children for "spare parts" I have wanted both my baby's lol. But because I love them that is it, if it comes down to one helping another I would be 100% supportive.

I don't agree with having another to save another, if you didn't want another child in the first place then don't have another child, just to save your first child.

Quoting beadingmom17: I would and will always encourage my kids to help each other (and others). I think forcing it or purposely having another kid for "spare parts" is wrong, but I would certainly hope my girls would want to do whatever they could to save their sister.
beadingmom17
by Rachel on Aug. 30, 2014 at 3:03 PM
That's what I meant. Purposely having another kid you didn't want solely to use to save their sibling would be crappy.

Quoting Bookoholic: I don't plan nor does my family plan children for "spare parts" I have wanted both my baby's lol. But because I love them that is it, if it comes down to one helping another I would be 100% supportive.

I don't agree with having another to save another, if you didn't want another child in the first place then don't have another child, just to save your first child.

Quoting beadingmom17: I would and will always encourage my kids to help each other (and others). I think forcing it or purposely having another kid for "spare parts" is wrong, but I would certainly hope my girls would want to do whatever they could to save their sister.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bookoholic
by Silver Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 3:05 PM
Yes it would. :)

Quoting beadingmom17: That's what I meant. Purposely having another kid you didn't want solely to use to save their sibling would be crappy.

Quoting Bookoholic: I don't plan nor does my family plan children for "spare parts" I have wanted both my baby's lol. But because I love them that is it, if it comes down to one helping another I would be 100% supportive.

RoseWall
by Platinum Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 3:08 PM
i do not know.
something for me to think about
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN