Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

young for sixth grade

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 12:17 AM
  • 5 Replies
Hi. I am new to this site and I haven't even introduced myself, and I am probably paying this in the wrong group but I need some advice. My daughter is 10 and in 6th grade. We used to live in a state 2 years ago where this age would have been normal but now we live in a state where the cut off age is different and she is very young for her grade. When I started her in school here in the 4th grade I tried to get her in 3rd grade but the registration officer have me the run around. At first it was no big deal but now that she is in middle school I am noticing a problem. My daughter is always worried and nervous and has told me that she wants to homeschool again, we were homeschoolers before we moved here 2 years ago. Today she told me she wishes she could go back to fifth grade but to a different school than the one she went to before so as to not be embarrassed. I have a 16 year old step daughter who is a high school senior this year who is also young for her grade and has struggled so much academically and socially. What do I do with my 10 year old? Hold her back our let her tough it out?
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 12:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
susannah2000
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 3:54 AM
1 mom liked this

10 is too young for sixth grade. She is still a child, while the kids in middle school are transitioning into their teens.   I don't know in what state 10 is normal for sixth grade, but at any rate, I think you should take her out of this grade. Let her grow up naturally, and not have to deal with kids in her class who are too old for her. I also don't know if the work is too advanced for her. Why don't you homeschool this year and see where she fits next year? I feel sorry for the older one too. School isn't supposed to be a freaking race, that whoever is youngest when they get out, wins. It is supposed to be a place where kids learn and grow, and they can't do that if they are struggling all the time to keep their heads above water.

DACIA79
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 5:31 AM
My grandmother held me back in fifth grade. I was 9 years old. The average age for a 6th grader was 12.

Although I would have done fine academically I was not emotionally ready for that kind of change.

I thought that they stopped letting kids start school that young years ago.
HisLovingGirl
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 5:43 AM
I was 11 in 6th grade (12 the end of that year) 10 is was too young! I would homeschool again.
coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 7:10 AM
There is an Elementary School Moms group you might want to look into and a Tween Titans group. They might have helpful answers there too. I don't know what to tell you...I've never heard of being so young in those grades.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LogansMom1113
by Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 7:17 AM
Mybdd will turn 11 in July and start 5th grade in August. She has always been the youngest in her class however she is very mature so it hasn't bothered her. In your dd's case I would take her out and homeschool for a year then re enroll her in 5 the grade
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)