Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

buying our first home!! help!

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 10:15 AM
  • 22 Replies

we are finally going to buy our first home. we already have our pre-approval letter for our loan so we are good to go there. 

and we know what we need in a house plus what we would like as well. 

but i have some questions on how the whole thing works. 

we have a mortgage broker. do we pay him? if so how much? also who pays the sellers Realtor? the seller or us? 

how much does it normally cost to pay a home inspector? 

also is it normal for seller to sell the home with out the refrigerator?

is there anything else i should know going into this?

i think that is all the questions i have at least for now. so if you have experience with home buying and can give me some answers and advice that would be great. thanks.

Sarah      10-16-06                                     Luciano 11-27-08

by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 10:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SweetMama823
by Gold Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 10:32 AM
Be prepared to pay couple hundreds. It all adds up real quick!
Congrats and good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bubelah
by New Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 10:35 AM

If you don't have a Realtor already, I strongly suggest you get one. They are the experts & will lead you by the hand every step of the way.

Bubelah
by New Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Oh,forgot to add: The seller pays the Realtors commission, not the buyer.

ambermario4ever
by Gold Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Quoting Bubelah:

Oh,forgot to add: The seller pays the Realtors commission, not the buyer.

we dont want to get our own relator because we would have to pay them and we dont want to pay more than we have to. the more fees we have to pay the less we have to spend on the house its self. and the one we are looking at right now the owners have a lawyer involed in the sale and we have to pay his fee if we buy the house. 

nayeli.c
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 12:23 PM

You don't pay for a realtor the seller does and they really are worth it if you get a good one! Many of them have been to enough home inspections that they can point out faults in a house that you might overlook thus saving you money on paying a home inspector for a house that has a deal breaker for you! They can also advise on the area, potential return, and many houses you HAVE to have a realtor to see!

The only person you not using one benefits is the seller, and unless they will give you a discount for not using one I wouldn't worry about that! My real estate agent also recommended many people for me that were necassary like a title company, broker, etc. and they were all really good!

ambermario4ever
by Gold Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 12:32 PM

from what i understand now if we have our own realtor we pay their fee. and the seller pays their own realtor. when we want to see a home we call the listing realtor who is working for the seller to see the home. and we already have a mortgage broker. and we already know the area we have been renting a home here for almost four years now. 

Quoting nayeli.c:

You don't pay for a realtor the seller does and they really are worth it if you get a good one! Many of them have been to enough home inspections that they can point out faults in a house that you might overlook thus saving you money on paying a home inspector for a house that has a deal breaker for you! They can also advise on the area, potential return, and many houses you HAVE to have a realtor to see!

The only person you not using one benefits is the seller, and unless they will give you a discount for not using one I wouldn't worry about that! My real estate agent also recommended many people for me that were necassary like a title company, broker, etc. and they were all really good!

NeonGirl9583
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 12:37 PM
I have no idea. We brought ours from the previous owners. We paid cash money on it. I wouldn't go though a real estate person dh thought it was more expensive.
nayeli.c
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 12:39 PM

You don't pay their fee. Call one and ask them!

As far as the fridge situation.. Its not uncommon for them to take it nor leave it. Its a toss up. I think more take it than leave it though. You can ask that it stays with the it in your offer!

Quoting ambermario4ever:

from what i understand now if we have our own realtor we pay their fee. and the seller pays their own realtor. when we want to see a home we call the listing realtor who is working for the seller to see the home. and we already have a mortgage broker. and we already know the area we have been renting a home here for almost four years now. 

Quoting nayeli.c:

slt1680
by Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 12:39 PM

i work for a title company and the buyer and seller pay different costs buyers is usually more expensive when there is a lender involved unless the seller agrees to pay some of you costs. the title place will cut a check to the realtor to pay them but the seller is the one that pay the realtor. inspections can be around 300 to 400 dollars. not all are that expensive tho and it is very common for the seller to take the fridge with them. make sure you request from your realtor that the seller pay their closing costs up to $3,500.00 or more.  you need to check with your lender to see how much you could have.

Mommy4-27-08
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 12:48 PM
Get your own realtor. Best advice I have. They know how to negotiate and that is the best way to save some money. We bought a short sale and our realtor helped us from being screwed over by the other company. We were young and I think they thought we would be dumb enough to fall for stuff and my realtor shut them down really quick. I wouldn't buy a house without a realtor.

Paying for the mortgage broker and realtor aren't that big of a deal. It gets all rolled into your loan and closing costs, at least ours did. We didn't have to write seperate checks for anyone so I would just do it.

Home inspections all depend on the kind you have. Some are just basic, some involve pests, etc. Shop around for prices.

Yes, it's normal for the appliances not to be included.

It is expensive so be prepared for all the costs. Ours was several thousand more than we thought it would be. We bought a $185k house and we ended up paying $8500 in closing costs because of all this extra stuff (insurance, added fees, etc.).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)