Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

feeling guilty/trapped

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 11:02 PM
  • 17 Replies
I am married with a 4 year old step son, Colton, who soon will be staring kindergarten next year. My husband works weekends and helps his parents farm. I am a nurse. My mother-in-law has been trying to get my husband to quit working with out me being present at the conversations. She wants him to quit so that he can work on thre farm ( which does not pay) and so he can see Colton. I feel like i am a horrible person for wanting my husband to find an alternative so that we can some day find a larger home that we could have kids together in.
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 11:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cam05
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 11:18 PM
1 mom liked this
She wants him.to just do nothing?
Hottmomma607
by Trica on Oct. 15, 2014 at 11:26 PM
That's crazy so quit a paying job and do nothing? I would tell him he needs to speak up to his mom and tell her no way. How will be help support a family?

Quoting thirdwheelmommy: I am married with a 4 year old step son, Colton, who soon will be staring kindergarten next year. My husband works weekends and helps his parents farm. I am a nurse. My mother-in-law has been trying to get my husband to quit working with out me being present at the conversations. She wants him to quit so that he can work on thre farm ( which does not pay) and so he can see Colton. I feel like i am a horrible person for wanting my husband to find an alternative so that we can some day find a larger home that we could have kids together in.
ko912
by Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 11:31 PM
Where do you live now? On the farm with his parents? I sure hope not!
thirdwheelmommy
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 11:34 PM
She wants him to work on the farm full time, no guarantee that he will get paid. His mom did ask how much money it would take to get him to quit his job and he shot her a lowball offer, without discussing it with me. What say do I have?...
thirdwheelmommy
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 11:40 PM
We live in a 2 bedroom house, no room fr even the possibility of a growing family. The farm is 5 miles away, the days I am not working at the hospital, I am on the farm too.
Hottmomma607
by Trica on Oct. 15, 2014 at 11:40 PM
Wow well show him a budget plan. And maybe he'll see it that way?
What does he do now?

Quoting thirdwheelmommy: She wants him to work on the farm full time, no guarantee that he will get paid. His mom did ask how much money it would take to get him to quit his job and he shot her a lowball offer, without discussing it with me. What say do I have?...
Imperfect_Faith
by on Oct. 16, 2014 at 9:46 AM
Why is he discussing this with his mother? This is a conversation he needs to have with his wife.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amnesiacaj
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2014 at 1:12 PM

How is quitting his paying job going to help him see his son?  Does he not have to pay child support?  If he doesn't pay that, he won't see his son, working or not.

MIL needs to butt out.  You have a life to build together (while making allowances for his child) and she is not necessarily helping.  You and DH need to discuss this, not him and her.

StarDotCom
by on Oct. 16, 2014 at 1:15 PM

He has to man up and tell his mother that a working job is part of the adult package and he can't be mooching off of his wife so that he can see is son. If its 5 miles away, he can just ride there and see him whenever he wants.

Elle.tea.22
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2014 at 4:02 PM
Of that was my situation and he quit, I would be getting a divorce.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)