Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have an IUD and I'm lactating

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:28 PM
  • 6 Replies
My son is 22 months old and I've had the IUD in for 20 months. For the past couple of weeks I have been telling my husband that something feels different. My back is sore especially my lower back and I am getting headaches and nauseous. Since I've had the IUD in place I've just had spotting for a few days then it stops. And I have it every month around the 1st of the month except for this month. I had spotting one day then it stopped. I took two pregnancy tests and they came back negative. So I thought okay. Well then a day later I started lactating in the shower. I'm not on any medications. I went to a walk in clinic and they we're examining me and I was lactating again. They gave me a blood test for pregnancy and that came back negative 2. She said it might be a hormone thing and to go to my PCP for further testing. I have an appt tomorrow. My question is has anybody done this before and been pregnant and the blood test be wrong? And what other blood test will they do?
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Hottmomma607
by Trica on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:37 PM
No experience with that. But good luck.
LibraBalance
by Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:42 PM
I breastfeed for 13 months and then still had milk for the next 5 years & iI had an iudIUD. Never considered that could have been the cause. I didn't like have a let down or anyrhing. Only if I squeezed lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PJVMom
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:01 PM
My milk completely stopped when I breastfed. I just feel like I'm pregnant and sometimes I feel flutters in my stomach
funhappymom
by on Nov. 5, 2014 at 9:38 AM

I doubt that you are pregnant if the blood test came back negative. They're usually pretty accurate.

Is your IUD still in place? I hope you are able to get some answers from your PCP.

amonkeymom
by Platinum Member on Nov. 5, 2014 at 3:13 PM

I agree with this.

Unless it's a hormonal IUD, you could be experiencing ovulation bleeding/pain, but I'd talk to your regular doctor about the lactating concerns.

Quoting funhappymom:

I doubt that you are pregnant if the blood test came back negative. They're usually pretty accurate.

Is your IUD still in place? I hope you are able to get some answers from your PCP.

PJVMom
by on Nov. 5, 2014 at 5:25 PM
The doctor took 5 vials of blood to do further blood testing. He said that all the symptoms that I described did sound like pregnancy to him and it sounded like implantation bleeding when the egg tried to implant and couldn't because the IUD was blocking it. Just an update. I won't get my results until tomorrow.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)