Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Going back to work

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:56 PM
  • 7 Replies
Hi I'm a new mommy and I'm having a hard time with the fact I'm going back to work nights this week. My daughter is 7 months now and I cannot get her to sleep threw the night without me to save my life. I have tried the cry it out method somewhat but I feel so bad. She will cry herself to sleep but then when she wakes up in the middle of the night all she wants is me and to feed her (I'm breastfeeding). What do I do to get her to sleep threw the night?
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
jconney80
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:58 PM
I'm sorry you're struggling with this! I don't really see what you can do to get her to sleep through the night :( She's probably still hungry at night. Who will be watching her? Maybe they can give her a bottle. They usually accept it if mom isn't there
Imperfect_Faith
by on Nov. 5, 2014 at 12:31 AM
Have your husband hold her, or whoever will be watching her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
funhappymom
by on Nov. 5, 2014 at 10:16 AM

As long as you are around, she will continue to want/need you. Chances are after the first couple of days, it will get easier for both of you. Make sure you leave your breastmilk for her and make sure you are pumping while away from her to keep up your supply.

amonkeymom
by Platinum Member on Nov. 5, 2014 at 3:17 PM

Congratulations on your little girl!

I had a hard time leaving my little ones to go back to work as well, it's not easy.  

I'd make sure to pump and leave a supply of breastmilk for her, or supplement with formula.  She may not sleep through the night, but she'll be a lot happier with something in her little belly.

Carlleen
by on Nov. 9, 2014 at 3:04 PM

Awe that's awful. My little guy wouldn't sleep through the night either. And we kept giving him a bottle when he woke up. After 7 months of this we got tired and realized that he was just using the feeding as a way to get back to sleep, he wasn't learning to put himself back to sleep. So we did the crying method, it was really hard to listen to him cry but after 4 nights he that was it. He now wakes up in the middle of the night but puts himself right back to sleep. 

BulmaBrief
by Member on Nov. 9, 2014 at 3:29 PM
This is similar except I waited till DS2 was 11 months. After so long it becomes habit. Instead of formula I have him water and let him cry it out. Within a week he was STTN. It's been glorious. DS1 didn't STTN until he was 2.5.

If you are nursing have whoever is watching the baby overnight give bottles. Then once that is established as routine try switching the bottle to water.

Whatever you do good luck.

Quoting Carlleen:

Awe that's awful. My little guy wouldn't sleep through the night either. And we kept giving him a bottle when he woke up. After 7 months of this we got tired and realized that he was just using the feeding as a way to get back to sleep, he wasn't learning to put himself back to sleep. So we did the crying method, it was really hard to listen to him cry but after 4 nights he that was it. He now wakes up in the middle of the night but puts himself right back to sleep. 

fullxbusymom
by Silver Member on Nov. 9, 2014 at 5:06 PM

There is nothing you can do.  Babies aren't meant to sleep through the night until closer to 1yr.  I am really sorry though, she will adjust with a simple feeding from a bottle after a few days. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)