Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What dog should I get for our son

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 9:38 PM
  • 114 Replies

Hi, we would like to get a dog (pup) for our son for his 6th birthday, any suggestions on what breed to get as a first pet?  we would like a dog that would not only be a good companion for us but also a good protector as well.  any suggestions would be most helpful.  Thanks Phillsmum. puppy

by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 9:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nicetry11
by Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 9:48 PM
A hypoallergenic non shedding dog. Get a laberdoodle if you want a big dog
MusherMaggie
by Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:43 PM
8 moms liked this
Do your research, look at breed pages affiliated with.the American Kennel Club. Be aware that you will need to properly train a puppy; it's like having a new baby, only worse. Most "protective" breeds are not good for first-time pet owners, and your son is too young to take very much responsibility for a dog. Puppies are not always best to start out with for first-time owners. I would visit rescues and shelters in your area with a friend or relative who is knowledgeable.
imyourPuppy
by Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:46 PM
We have a pit, but for a little boy I would suggest a lab. Great family dog.
spacedementia
by Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:53 PM

We have a French Bulldog/Pit mix. We had a Frenchie before and decided to rescue our current dog after the last one passed while I was pregnant. I know people are touchy about Pits, our dog is a love bug though, but I'd definitely recommend a French Bulldog. Yeah they won't be able to do much if someone attacks you but they're pretty good with kids in my experience and are very sweet. 

Reina13
by on Dec. 13, 2014 at 11:47 AM

I 100% agree with this. First and foremost do your research and make sure you have the time and committment to properly train and love a dog.

Quoting MusherMaggie: Do your research, look at breed pages affiliated with.the American Kennel Club. Be aware that you will need to properly train a puppy; it's like having a new baby, only worse. Most "protective" breeds are not good for first-time pet owners, and your son is too young to take very much responsibility for a dog. Puppies are not always best to start out with for first-time owners. I would visit rescues and shelters in your area with a friend or relative who is knowledgeable.

shylosmommy
by Platinum Member on Dec. 13, 2014 at 11:49 AM
2 moms liked this
Border collie
Maddies_Mommy10
by on Dec. 13, 2014 at 11:51 AM
A fish
flowerfunleah
by Gold Member on Dec. 13, 2014 at 11:54 AM

Golden retrieveres are great family dogs, my friend Eric had one for 18 years. 

We also like Great Danes, they're big dogs but they're really just gentle giants. They're also great protectors as well as fantastic and patient with children. I may be a bit biased though lol

lovebug72
by Member on Dec. 13, 2014 at 12:54 PM

LOL! My kids want a dog, but they have goldfish instead. I thought we should ease into the pet thing. :)

Quoting Maddies_Mommy10: A fish

lovebug72
by Member on Dec. 13, 2014 at 12:58 PM

I also have a 6 year old and a 3 year old and they have been asking for a dog. I am afraid that a puppy would swallow their little toys, such as legos. What do all of you dog owners suggest? Do older dogs also tend to eat things like puppies do? If so, did you train your dog to not eat objects or do you just keep all toys away....that just seems unrealistic to me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)