Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bad experience at hospital during labor... need advice PLEASE, would help so much

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 9:13 PM
  • 21 Replies

Hi everyone,

I recently gave birth to a beautiful baby girl. There were some issues during labor, mostly staff seeming rushed, not explaining things to me, I developed a slight fever etc etc.

It was clear to me that the nurse assigned to me was brand new. When my daughter was born, her nose wasn't suctioned and she looked a bit blue. A few weeks after her birth, the experience was gnawing at me, so I obtained her medical records and the fetal monitoring strip. She's almost 2 months old now, and I have done extensive research on everything in my chart, and I don't like what I see. Quite frankly I'm terrified that she may have suffered some hypoxia, and I can't shake the fear.

I have two main concerns that I'd love to hear some experiences/feedback/opinions on.

#1. I had repeated low blood pressures. The first bout was after epidural placement; it was pretty low (120's/40s), but went away within 20 minutes. This happened again 3 more times throughout the course of my labor, the most concerning one was when I was placed on my back to have cervix checked, then an epidural top-up right after, blood pressures read 104/37, 106/42, then 120/45. then back down to 108/45, then 98/55. No other pressures recorded after that, until 30 minutes later a nurse came in and administered an IV bolus, then again no pressures taken for a while, then 105/38, then again nothing until about 1 hour later, a blood pressure read 112/70. During this 2-hour time window, pressures were pretty low, and for whatever reason not much was done about it. There were very few accelerations in my baby's heart rate during this time window, plenty of shallow decelerations, but nothing to compare them to because the contractions weren't picking up due to monitor falling out. I am horrified by what I've learned since about hypotension and blood flow to the baby.

#2. Other major concern is I had large ketones in urine, they still won't tell me why they checked for ketones and/or why they waited so long to do it. I don't know what their protocol is on that or what the significance is. I ate a small snack in the a.m. then headed to the hospital, I was in labor for 13 hours before they checked ketones and gave me dextrose to clear them out (wasn't eating or drinking per hospital rules). About 45 minutes after that, the baby seems to become more active/more accelerations. I don't know if it is expected to have a huge amount of ketones during labor or what effect that may have had on baby or bloodflow to her. It seems like an intervention they should have performed hours earlier.

If anyone has any experience, feedback, input, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm beside myself with worry. It would be especially helpful if someone is a L&D nurse or has personal experience with the above. Or if you want to vent and share a similar story, please do

by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 9:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
candicefield
by Silver Member on Dec. 21, 2014 at 11:24 AM
3 moms liked this
Why are you so concerned? Is there something wrong with your child that could be related to hypoxia at birth? Your diastolic bp was a little low and your systolic wasn't concerning at all. I don't believe it called for any emergency intervention. The IV bolus was probably administered because of your low diastolic. Research has shown that there are no benefits to routine suctioning. Maybe they don't suction at that facility due to evidence based practice unless it is needed in a situation. I've had 2 of my babies born blue and one wasn't initially breathing. My youngest just needed some mild stimulation to get going. I'm not quite sure why you are so worried but nothing seems out of whack with the birth to me.
rachels887
by on Dec. 21, 2014 at 12:08 PM

Thanks for your reply - Initially i was concerned because the hospital was extremely busy (in Dallas, right around time of Ebola case, no one wanted to go to the ebola hospital so they flooded other hospitals), and the nurse was brand new, she didn't know what she was doing at all, which became apparent at the end of the evening. I wasn't extremely concerned until getting my medical records and seeing the large blocks of time my contractions weren't on the monitor and the extremely low BPs. The fetal heart tracings that go along with the low BPs don't look to good to me either. My daughter hasn't exhibited anything abnormal yet, except for nystagmus at birth which went away in a few days. But, as I understand it, mild hypoxia can manifest years down the road. I don't want to have that nagging at me for the next 3 years. I just want to be informed

Reina13
by on Dec. 21, 2014 at 12:14 PM

I think it is good to be proactive about it and inform yourself, but please don't let it become an irrational fear. Enjoy your child and her growth and should hypoxia manifest down the road, you already have a foundation in place to make any determinations that you may need to at that time.

Ralgj
by Member on Dec. 21, 2014 at 12:19 PM
Don't let this consume you. It's not for you or your baby. I would put it all on the back burner for now. You could make a complaint with the hospital. Chances are nothing is wrong with your baby. None of it sounds too conserning. Unfortunately with the way health care is now understaffing is commmon. Good luck!
A.J.s_mommy
by Ruby Member on Dec. 21, 2014 at 12:38 PM
What does being "brand new" have to do with anything? If she were brand new...a seasoned nurse would oversee what she is doing. None of those pressures seemed extremely low. The diastolic was a bit low but a pressure of 112/70 isn't an alarming pressure at all.
rachels887
by on Dec. 21, 2014 at 12:43 PM

When i say she was brand new, she did several things that I know you shouldn't do just from common sense and being a medical assistant. She was slow and didn't seem to know what she was doing. I'm not bashing her in particular, but am worried about her judgement. The 112/70 was a good pressure, that's LONG after the IV bolus they gave me.I'm concerned about the diastolic pressures in the 30's and 40's that repeated over and over

A.J.s_mommy
by Ruby Member on Dec. 21, 2014 at 12:46 PM
I get it...its scary. My daughter had to be resuscitated at birth. It was very scary but now she is a happy/healthy 2 year old. What are these "things" she did that were wrong? Of course she's slow...she's new. It takes time to get to the same speed as seasoned nurses.

Quoting rachels887:

When i say she was brand new, she did several things that I know you shouldn't do just from common sense and being a medical assistant. She was slow and didn't seem to know what she was doing. I'm not bashing her in particular, but am worried about her judgement. The 112/70 was a good pressure, that's LONG after the IV bolus they gave me.I'm concerned about the diastolic pressures in the 30's and 40's that repeated over and over

rachels887
by on Dec. 21, 2014 at 12:54 PM

She placed me flat on my back to check cervix twice after my epidural, and my BP plummeted. If I had known how dangerous these bps could be, I would have refused, but this was after 12 hrs or so of labor and i was out of it. I also developed a fever, and she re-checked and determined fever gone right after giving me ice chips... obviously not an accurate recording. I didn't trust in her abilities when it was all over

A.J.s_mommy
by Ruby Member on Dec. 21, 2014 at 12:58 PM
If its going to nag at you like this...take it the hospital board then. Why wouldn't you speak up at the time if you knew it was wrong? I would never allow someone to continue doing something if it knew or had a feeling that it was wrong.

Quoting rachels887:

She placed me flat on my back to check cervix twice after my epidural, and my BP plummeted. If I had known how dangerous these bps could be, I would have refused, but this was after 12 hrs or so of labor and i was out of it. I also developed a fever, and she re-checked and determined fever gone right after giving me ice chips... obviously not an accurate recording. I didn't trust in her abilities when it was all over

Mammacra
by Member on Dec. 21, 2014 at 1:00 PM
I delivered my own baby in the hospital. I still have ppd from it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)