• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Another Flight Has gone missing after losing contact with ground control. (EDIT)

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 12:54 AM
  • 10 Replies

Seriously. What the hell is going on here? Can we be transparent like NOW. Today? Find it whole or in peices TODAY? Not have 161 families wondering forever and the rest of us scared shitless?

http://www.wsj.com/articles/airasia-flight-from-indonesia-to-singapore-loses-contact-with-air-traffic-control-1419739472?mod=e2fb

EDIT: They found the wreckage and dozens of bodies. :-( My prayers are with their family.

Text for Mobile Users

JAKARTA, Indonesia—An AirAsia plane with about 160 passengers and crew lost contact with air traffic control Sunday after it had taken off from Surabaya, Indonesia, on a flight to Singapore, the airline said.

AirAsia Indonesia said on its Facebook page that contact was lost with flight QZ8501 at 07:24 local time.

“At the present time we unfortunately have no further information regarding the status of the passengers and crew members on board, but we will keep all parties informed as more information becomes available," the airline said on Facebook.

“Search and rescue operations are in progress and AirAsia is cooperating fully and assisting the rescue service,” it said.

The aircraft was an Airbus A320-200, the airline added.

A flight arrival information signboard shows the status of AirAsia flight QZ 8501 from Indonesian city of Surabaya to Singapore at Changi Airport in Singapore on Sunday. EDGAR SU/REUTERS

Airbus said on Twitter: “We have been informed of an event and all efforts are now going towards assessing the situation.”

Ignatius Bambang Tjahjono, president of state-owned AirNav Indonesia, which provides air navigation services, said the plane took off at 5:32 a.m. local time (Western Indonesia time). He said it was cruising at 32,000 feet and at 6:12 a.m., it contacted traffic control at Jakarta’s airport to say it was moving left from the flight path and rising to 38,000 feet to avoid a cloud. At 6:16 a.m. the plane was still appearing on the radar, he said. At 6:18 a.m. it disappeared from radar.

The Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore said in a statement that Flight QZ8501 was scheduled to arrive in Singapore at 08:30 local time. It also said that search and rescue operations have been activated by the Indonesian authorities and that Singapore has offered to help.

“Two C130s are already on standby for this purpose. We remain ready to provide any assistance to support the search and rescue effort,” the statement said. A waiting area has been set up for relatives and friends of the affected passengers at Changi Airport Terminal 2.

The Airbus Group NV A320 operated by AirAsia is a modern and reliable workhorse and is the sole aircraft type operated by the low-cost airline and its associate operations which are based in several southeast Asian nations, including Indonesia. AirAsia is one of the largest operators of the type in the world and holds orders for hundreds more jets from Airbus. The carrier operates its A320s in a single-class arrangement with 180 seats, the maximum allowed.

Indonesia’s airlines are purchasing new aircraft at a rate that greatly outpaces demand from the rest of the world’s airlines and are among the biggest customers for both Boeing Co. and Airbus jets. The archipelago nation has relied heavily on aircraft purchasing to connect its islands, which span longer than the contiguous U.S.

by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 12:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
whitepointer
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 2:25 AM

My god, Not another one.

mulanda30
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 6:36 AM
Scary
jconney80
by Ruby Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 11:47 PM

I haven't heard anything about this but I don't watch the news. Has there been any updates? Did they find it?

beadingmom17
by Rachel on Dec. 28, 2014 at 11:50 PM
No. They're supposedly still looking for it. I'm trying to figure out how we can trace a cell phone, keep contact with a satellite millions of light years away, and launch people into space, yet an entire plane can go missing?

Quoting jconney80:

I haven't heard anything about this but I don't watch the news. Has there been any updates? Did they find it?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jconney80
by Ruby Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 11:51 PM

Umm wow! I had no idea. That is just really insane

Quoting beadingmom17: No. They're supposedly still looking for it. I'm trying to figure out how we can trace a cell phone, keep contact with a satellite millions of light years away, and launch people into space, yet an entire plane can go missing?
Quoting jconney80:

Bmat
by Emerald Member on Dec. 29, 2014 at 4:37 PM

This is so sad.  I heard that the ocean area where it could have gone down is very full of debris anyway- a sad commentary on the state of the oceans. But if they did crash land on land, then there might be survivors.

needadvice1983
by Bronze Member on Dec. 30, 2014 at 6:47 AM
If an airplane hits the water with enough force it's like hitting a brick wall. The plane comes apart, sometimes in very small pieces. Imagine trying to find small pieces in miles and miles of ocean. We can trace phone calls and sattilites because they haven't been destroyed. If a plane is destroyed and sinks there are no electrical signals to trace. It's not as simple as looking for a distress beacon. This isn't the movies. I hope they find it, but chances are they probably never will if they cant find a signal from the black box.
MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on Dec. 30, 2014 at 1:12 PM

bump. They found the wreckage and bodies. :-(

beadingmom17
by Rachel on Dec. 30, 2014 at 1:51 PM
Do you have a link? I haven't seen any news stations reporting it.

Quoting MissTacoBell:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on Dec. 30, 2014 at 6:53 PM

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/31/world/asia/airasia-8501-jet-missing-indonesia.html

Quoting beadingmom17: Do you have a link? I haven't seen any news stations reporting it.
Quoting MissTacoBell:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)