Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Florida residents, I have a couple questions

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 6:13 PM
  • 101 Replies

UPDATE: We decided on FL. Okaloosa county. Give me some tips and tricks to which places are great and some good family friendly/adult friendly spots. We won't be going out until we have a family visitor but when we move, we'd like to get a date while my parents are there. Although, we'll probably just drive around and look at the area because we're boring....

OH, and what areas of renting are good to stay away from?

My husband and I are planning a big move. We have been to both Florida and California and we are looking to make a decision soon on which we want to move to. There are many reason, but I want to hear from you guys!

What are the benefits of living in either?

What are the cons of living in either?

We are making a list tonight and we are making our goals for the next year as well.

Also, do they have Youth Wrestling clubs in FL or CA?! That is one of my difficulties in looking.

by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 6:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bellawomen
by Summer on Dec. 31, 2014 at 6:16 PM
You need to be more specific where you are looking in both states.

No hurricanes in California. San Diego has perfect weather. The beach, desert, and mountains are all a short drive away. Not to mention tons of attractions and hiking areas.
aidensmom0407
by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 6:16 PM

hmm... i don't know anything about the wrestling clubs.  I am in Florida, I moved here from Virginia.  I love where I live.  IDK how it compares to California.  If you're looking for jobs it can be difficult, depending on where you are in florida and some parts can be expensive.  I love the weather and having the beach nearby.   

NVL0707
by Baroness on Dec. 31, 2014 at 6:19 PM
3 moms liked this
California is extremely expensive to live.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Beautifulmom513
by Platinum Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 6:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't know anything about florida. but I was born and raised in california and lived there for over 30 years. the only benefit or positive about california, is the weather. the weather is mild and almost perfect year around. but you severely pay for it. and honestly, its not even close to being worth it. we left a few years ago because of the ridiculous high cost of living and lack of good jobs. the schools are really bad there too. its a nice place to visit. but its not a good place to raise a family at all. 

TaralynnStewart
by Silver Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 6:22 PM
What area of FL? I don't know anything about California but I'm born and raised in Tampa.
Mama2ETA
by Gold Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 6:37 PM

Orange County vs. Okaloosa County

Quoting bellawomen: You need to be more specific where you are looking in both states. No hurricanes in California. San Diego has perfect weather. The beach, desert, and mountains are all a short drive away. Not to mention tons of attractions and hiking areas.

Mama2ETA
by Gold Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 6:39 PM

Okaloosa County (fort walton beach) most likely, possibly West palm beach

Quoting TaralynnStewart: What area of FL? I don't know anything about California but I'm born and raised in Tampa.

bellawomen
by Summer on Dec. 31, 2014 at 7:34 PM

What type of jobs are you both looking at?  That would be my deciding factor.  Do you have enough money to put down on a house in Orange County?  It is one of the most expensive counties in the state, but worth every penny.  Orange County is very central to everything beautiful that SoCal has to offer.

I live in North San Diego County, right on the beach (well a few blocks away).  I would never live anywhere else.  There are the earthquakes every now and then, but I wouldn't let that scare me away.  The weather is perfect.  We have hot summers, especially the farther you move away from the coast.  The "inland" temperature can be as much as 30 degrees hotter than the coast, so take that into account. In the winter it can be as much as 40 or 50 degrees cooler than the coast in the mountains.  There is very little humidity here, but with that comes the increased risk for wildfires.   Orange County gets more rain than San Diego County, but even so we get maybe 10-20 rainy days a year.  The snow is 60-90 minutes drive away, the desert about the same.  So you can go snowboarding, surfing, and play in the sand dunes all in one day and finish up at Disneyland for fireworks if you REALLY wanted.  It would be a crazy day though.  :)

Mama2ETA
by Gold Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 7:50 PM

My dh is a driver and I will stay home until school starts. When I start working, I will be doing esthetics or hospitality.

Quoting bellawomen:

What type of jobs are you both looking at?  That would be my deciding factor.  Do you have enough money to put down on a house in Orange County?  It is one of the most expensive counties in the state, but worth every penny.  Orange County is very central to everything beautiful that SoCal has to offer.

I live in North San Diego County, right on the beach (well a few blocks away).  I would never live anywhere else.  There are the earthquakes every now and then, but I wouldn't let that scare me away.  The weather is perfect.  We have hot summers, especially the farther you move away from the coast.  The "inland" temperature can be as much as 30 degrees hotter than the coast, so take that into account. In the winter it can be as much as 40 or 50 degrees cooler than the coast in the mountains.  There is very little humidity here, but with that comes the increased risk for wildfires.   Orange County gets more rain than San Diego County, but even so we get maybe 10-20 rainy days a year.  The snow is 60-90 minutes drive away, the desert about the same.  So you can go snowboarding, surfing, and play in the sand dunes all in one day and finish up at Disneyland for fireworks if you REALLY wanted.  It would be a crazy day though.  :)

godsgirl26
by ♥Char2theMaine♥ on Dec. 31, 2014 at 7:57 PM

I live in Cali, its not like cali will break your wallet lol. But its pretty expensive depending on where you are planing to move. I live in the mountains and i love it very peaceful, no traffice at all, kids can play out in the streets and not have to worry about fast cars acting like a fool speeding down the road.

The only thing i hate is that we have to drive to 7 miles to a store or 30 miles to fresno but i like it here. In cali you have the beaches, Great america, six flags etc.

♥♥♥ Yes im a wow Playing Momma♥♥♥

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)