Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you let your neighbors do this?

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:41 PM
  • 7 Replies

Over the winter break the kids on my street were running around and playing, I know all of the moms except one who just moved here in the beginning of December, who I've talked to but we've never really been formally introduced. My ds (5) wanted to go out and play. Some of the other moms were out there and I chatted with them a little bit. The new mom wasn't out there, but her kids (9 and 11) were. I went back inside because I had some work to do, could see ds from my office window, and knew the three other moms outside. 

Well about 20 minutes later my ds comes back inside, because all the moms went in and only the new mom's kids were still playing. I saw new mom come outside, and her dd (9) ran up to her. I go back to my office, but then hear a knock on the door. The new mom's dd and ds are there. The ds has a plate of cookies and the dd asks if she can use the bathroom, and says that her mom said to bring over the cookies and use the bathroom there because the plumber was in their bathroom, and she was not allowed to mom and dads bathroom. I let her go.

Would you be okay with a mom telling her child this? Should I have let her go? What if this happens again? 

by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
lenashark
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:53 PM

No, I wouldn't have an issue with a neighbor's child asking politely to use the toilet since theirs is being repaired while introducing themselves as new neighbors. I would say that it is very nice to meet you, thank you very much for the cookies, you are more than welcome to use our restroom. 

nikkibrown312
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:57 PM
I see what your saying.. I mean I wouldn't tell my kid to do that bc I don't even know you. But as long as your not gonna hurt the child(not saying you would) then I don't see anything wrong with them using your bathroom. She sees you have kids and know the other moms and doesn't think anything of it. You should formally introduce yourself.

Quoting MyChemicalRoman:

Over the winter break the kids on my street were running around and playing, I know all of the moms except one who just moved here in the beginning of December, who I've talked to but we've never really been formally introduced. My ds (5) wanted to go out and play. Some of the other moms were out there and I chatted with them a little bit. The new mom wasn't out there, but her kids (9 and 11) were. I went back inside because I had some work to do, could see ds from my office window, and knew the three other moms outside. 

Well about 20 minutes later my ds comes back inside, because all the moms went in and only the new mom's kids were still playing. I saw new mom come outside, and her dd (9) ran up to her. I go back to my office, but then hear a knock on the door. The new mom's dd and ds are there. The ds has a plate of cookies and the dd asks if she can use the bathroom, and says that her mom said to bring over the cookies and use the bathroom there because the plumber was in their bathroom, and she was not allowed to mom and dads bathroom. I let her go.

Would you be okay with a mom telling her child this? Should I have let her go? What if this happens again? 

Bmat
by Emerald Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 8:54 PM

I agree with both of the above replies. I wouldn't worry about it happening all the time at this point. 

momma2gingers
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 8:59 PM
I wouldn't think much of it. Our neighborhood kids don't even knock half the time anymore, if the door is unlocked they can come on in
godsgirl26
by ♥Char2theMaine♥ on Jan. 6, 2015 at 11:30 PM
I would never tell my kid to do that lol. First off I don't know you, 2....I don't know what kind of person you are. That's just me tho.
TheRingmaster
by on Jan. 7, 2015 at 6:42 AM
1 mom liked this
What's the issue?
At 9&11 they are by far old enough to be outside unsupervised.
She sent cookies to say hello. She has a plumber there. Water is likely turned off. She didn't send them to rummage your cabinets, just to deliver a gift and ask to use your bathroom.
Relax Cujo.
coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Jan. 7, 2015 at 7:59 AM
I agree.

Quoting lenashark:

No, I wouldn't have an issue with a neighbor's child asking politely to use the toilet since theirs is being repaired while introducing themselves as new neighbors. I would say that it is very nice to meet you, thank you very much for the cookies, you are more than welcome to use our restroom. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)