Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can I get child to sleep better?

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 8:33 PM
  • 7 Replies
My 8yr old DS doesn't sleep, it seems like he's never tired. He goes to bed around 9, is restless while I'm awake until around 11, then he comes into my room anywhere between 2-4 in the morning and is restless until he wakes up at 6:30. I've tried making him stay in his bed all night, but he still isn't getting a good night's rest. I don't get good sleep because he wakes me up when he comes into my room and keeps me awake with his restlessness. He's always cranky and irritable. He's ADHD and I'm wondering if the lack of sleep is contributing to his hyperactivity. Any suggestions on how to get him sleeping well through the night?
by on Feb. 18, 2015 at 8:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
kiki719
by Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 8:38 PM
they put my 9 year old on sleep med
Serabeth06
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 8:48 PM

Maybe talk to his pediatrician about giving him melatonin in the evenings?

Seans_mommy123
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 8:50 PM

I would talk to his pediatrcian and see if you can have a sleep study done. 

nicetry11
by Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 9:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Establish a night time routine. Try a relaxing bath, story and then bed. Turn off electronics at least one hour before bed. Also try yoga with him. Eliminate all caffeine. Try eating dinner at least 3 hours before bed. He might like having a notice machine. Maybe he needs a weighted blanket. Ask the doc about melatonin. Does he have food sensitivities? Are you sure he's ADHD? Is he in meds for that? Are they being taken appropriately. Those meds are not ment to be for ever--- they should be used in combo with therapy to help the child find coping skills for the ADHD.
bellababy89
by Member on Feb. 18, 2015 at 10:05 PM
Medicine. Either for the ADHD or the sleep problem.

I was going to say offer to read bedtime stories or tv with movie in and milk with honey until I saw ADHD. My Ss has that. Never a problem with sleeping but we just let him watch a movie to go to sleep. Movies keep him relaxed
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
taKENheart
by Flovely on Feb. 18, 2015 at 11:54 PM

I'd talk to his doctor.
Definitely need a nightly routine for him if you don't have one.  Talk to your doctor about using Tart cherry juice before bed and/or essential oils.
I am not a doctor but the juice is helping me and I'm about to start using essential oils.  I don't know how much it would help for adhd though so again, speak to his doctor before trying anything new. 

10isenough
by on Feb. 19, 2015 at 12:30 AM

Do you have him in any sports or something else? Maybe he needs to be put in something that will get him active and tire him out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)