Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone done allergy testing?

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 6:05 PM
  • 9 Replies
I did allergy testing about 18 months ago for my son. He breaks out in bumps all over at random times throughout the year. We did the picks on the arm and then the patch test. Just came back as allergic to cats. We've never had a cat and never plan to. We use free and clear everything!! No perfumes or dyes. He's even been diagnosed with scabies,but doesn't respond to the scabies meds so I consulted a dermatologist and they said it wasn't scabies.
Not sure where to go from here or what it could possibly be. Has anyone ever gone through the testing?
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 6:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
notyethome1985
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 6:08 PM
I did when I was 20. I was 12 when they told me I had allergies but refused to give a referral until I was 20. I hated it. But I only came back with grass and pine allergies.
just-meand3
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 6:11 PM
Thanks. I was so frustrated when it only came back as just CATS!!! And they couldn't answer any questions about why or possibly why he was breaking out.

Quoting notyethome1985: I did when I was 20. I was 12 when they told me I had allergies but refused to give a referral until I was 20. I hated it. But I only came back with grass and pine allergies.
KenneMaw
by Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 6:14 PM

Are they going to test him for food allergies?  I have had the patch testing on my back for the basics - mold, dust, etc...  No luck.    Sometimes, temperature changes can cause hives/rashes and for me, a bath or shower only makes them worse.

Have you kept a diary to see what he is doing and eating before the break outs hapen.   Are you nursing?  Could you be eating soemthing that is bothering him?

just-meand3
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 6:18 PM
That is a good idea about keeping a diary. I'm starting that now. No nursing,he's 10.
I know they tested for household and outside allergens. I thought they did food but I need to double check that tomorrow. Thanks!!!!

Quoting KenneMaw:

Are they going to test him for food allergies?  I have had the patch testing on my back for the basics - mold, dust, etc...  No luck.    Sometimes, temperature changes can cause hives/rashes and for me, a bath or shower only makes them worse.

Have you kept a diary to see what he is doing and eating before the break outs hapen.   Are you nursing?  Could you be eating soemthing that is bothering him?

valkay
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 6:19 PM
1 mom liked this
I did I was 40. Mine came back as allergic to dust but not dust mites, grass, dogs not cats,
shoot4thestars
by Platinum Member on Feb. 24, 2015 at 12:02 AM

That's odd.  

just-meand3
by on Feb. 24, 2015 at 3:37 AM
Which part? All of it. :)

Quoting shoot4thestars:

That's odd.  

Minimonsters
by Member on Feb. 24, 2015 at 4:03 AM
1 mom liked this
I'd agree keeping a diary is helpful my daughter had tonnes of allergies thankfully she has grown out of alot if them. At one point it seemed like everything I fed her made her ill. I kept a diary and she went through a lot of tests to get to the bottom of it. She got rashes too the dr prescribed creams and bath oils non of which helped. Now I'm make our laundry detergent from soap flakes and soda crystals diluted with water and her skin has really cleared up, I also rub coconut oil into her damp skin after a bath her skin has never looked better and she hardly ever gets itchy patches anymore. Don't take no for an answer keep Pushing the drs to help get to te bottom of this in my experience they often try to fob you off xx
LoriAnn87
by Gold Member on Feb. 24, 2015 at 10:21 AM

Nope no one in my house has every had allergy testing done but I know what me and my boys are allergic too and that's pencillin and I'm also allerigic too real trees.  I found out when I was 16 I was allerigic to real christmas after having a sever allergic reaction whenever I came in conact with them but once I out of the room I was fine and penicllin I had my wisdom tooth taking out at 24 and they gave me penicllin for the pain by the 4 day of taking the medince I started too break out in a itcy rash and bad hives my look check online too see what it was and went to the Er and found out there I was allerigic too penicillin all cillin actually and it's weird because for years I was always given amoxcilin for whenever I was sick and never had any problems until I got older.  We found out my oldest was allerigic to all cillin when he was 15 months they gave him amoxcilin because it was starting too get strep and they wanted too kick in the butt before it got worst with in an hour of giving him the medinces he face started too swell up, and beat red so we called the Dr right away and told them what was going on and when we told them there was a histroy we had too bring in him right away. It's good thing we did because by the time we got there he started too break out in hives and a itchy rash Dr told us it we didn't know the signs and gave more meds we would have been in the ER because he's like me serverly allergic too all cillin. As far as my youngest he never has need any meds and we don't know if he is allerigic too all cillin but too be on the safe side they have in his chart no cillin family history allergy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)