Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Severe eczema and food allergies

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2015 at 11:40 AM
  • 6 Replies
Hi my name is brittney! I am a mom of two girls Hadleigh is 22 months and Harper is 7months. Hadleigh was diagnosed with eczema at the age of 6 months! It's progressivly gotten worse!! Way worse! We have tried everything the doctors have told us to do! Now we have done allergy tests by blood and have found out that she is allergic to a large amount of things! We are going to see a dietician with the referral of her pediatrician and also have to see a dermatologist. All they keep giving me is hydrocortisone creams,tell me to keep her lubed up with aquaphor or Vaseline, we bathe her every night with aveno oatmeal bath and wash her head to toe with eucerine oil bath. But now we have all these food allergies which are contributing to her eczema problems. My poor baby has red sore patches head to toe and digs at herself all day every day! People are starting to stare and ask what's wrong (which I don't care if they do). I'm at my wits end!! I need help and answers! We are from a little town in oklahoma and have to travel a hour and a half just to see all of her doctors! At this point I'd travel around the world just to get answers!
by on Feb. 27, 2015 at 11:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Juliannamsmilor
by Member on Feb. 27, 2015 at 11:53 AM
Have you taken her off of dairy completely? I know when I get an eczema flare up I've eaten too much dairy. Olive oil will work tremendously. It will help to heal the dry skin and calm the itching.
Bpad0604
by on Feb. 27, 2015 at 11:57 AM
Yes we have taken away dairy and have tried buying gluten free food! I've just started reading about the olive oil what do I do with that exactly? I also forgot to mention some of the side effects of the hydrocortisone cream are depleting the immune system and problems with your thyroid a and thyroid cancer which my husbands grandmother passed from 4 years ago! So I'm trying to get away from the hydrocortisone creams!
Bpad0604
by on Feb. 27, 2015 at 11:58 AM

Mobile Photo

This is the list of her allergies!
Minimonsters
by Member on Feb. 27, 2015 at 12:02 PM
My daughter also suffers allergies. She was prescribed various lotions and bath oils non of which helped (she would get itchy patches on the backs of her knees, inside her elbows and in her wee chubby folds). I actually thought she may be allergic to one of the common ingredients in the lotions but the dr dismissed this. I began making my own laundry detergent which helped her skin enormously and I rub either almond oil or coconut oil on her wet skin after a bath before drying her off which has also helped. I wonder if giving we daily baths is doing her skin any good, as water dries your skin out a bit I usually only bathe my daughter twice a week unless she's dirty. It's horrible when your going through the early stages of getting allergy tests but soon you'll have a better idea what your up against hugs xx
Hottmomma607
by Trica on Feb. 27, 2015 at 1:27 PM
Awww so sorry no experience here. ((Hugs))
But I do hope she get some relief soon?!
WILDCATGAL78
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2015 at 2:37 PM

For relief for the eczema try using coconut oil. You can get it at the grocery store. I would grease her down 2-3 times a day and in between that time keep using the Aquaphor and/or Eucerin. Another good lotion is the Baby Aveeno Moisturizing lotion. In my experience, the hydrocortisone cream over the counter or prescribed doesn't really help. 
What also might help is only give her a bath every 2-3 days, switch to fragrance free products (wipes, laundry detergent, lotions) and wash all new clothes before wearing and see if that helps.  When you do give her a bath, I would keep using the oatmeal and/or Auquaphor. You have to keep her very lubed up in order to really see results. My daughter's was weather related versus allergies and/or diet. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)