Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need help with the TERRIBLE TWO'S!!!

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2015 at 5:13 PM
  • 4 Replies

I am seriously to the point of pulling my hair out. My 19 month old has been in terrible 2s for a while. But just here recently has gotten to the point where shes getting a little outta control. i just dont know what to do. My oldest was never this hard to handle.

She screams to the top of her lungs, Pulls her older sisters hair, slaps at everybody, doesnt listen to anything, ignores you when you holler for her(even when shes standing directly infront of you), and runs from me when she has something that i tell her to hand over because she it could possibly hurt her(pen, pencil, etc.).

Its actually to the point that i have set up an appointment for her to get her ears checked. Because i dont know if shes ignoring me or just cant hear me.

She throws HORRIBLE HORRIBLE tantrums. Screaming like someone is beating her.

I have put her in time out, taking things away, just anything that i can possibly think of. I have taken advise from anyone that would give it.

But i thought that i would try here. Because here there are moms from all over the world, not just in my general area.

I would love just some advise, suggestions, anything. I just dont kow what to do about it anymore..

Please and thank you in advance!

by on Feb. 27, 2015 at 5:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Hottmomma607
by Trica on Feb. 28, 2015 at 3:53 AM
Just ride it out. One day you'll deal with teenage years.
I know it's hard now,my daughter was a terror I turn my back she'd get into every thing,pulling stuff down, pouring water from the water cooler.
I wanted to run and hide. Now she is almost 17,dating and driving.

((Hugs))
ashalina2015
by on Feb. 28, 2015 at 4:32 AM

Hello i can feel ur pain..its better to leave her alone when she shows tentrums or does any misbehave...she wanting extra attention thatsy she is behaving like that..when she will notice that nobody is taking her serious she will definately try to change her attitude..hope it will help u.=)

shoot4thestars
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2015 at 11:03 PM

My son is like that to the T..  He's starting to get better, he turned two in December.  When he starts hitting or kicking, I firmly say 'No, we do no do that' and give him a time-out, every single time no matter what and he loses whatever it is he may be playing with.   Hold your ground and be consistent too.  Ds likes to laugh and go on doing what he's doing, even though I'm right there telling him no.  I'll give him a time out and take toys or priveldges away.  He's starting to understand consequences are following his bad actions, not a whole lot, but I can see it clicking.

When he throws tantrums, I started doing deep breaths in and out a few weeks ago.  I'll try to get him to do it with me, but if he don't, I still do the breathing in front of him.  He seems to calm down a lot quicker than if I just let him go.  Recently, he started climbing on my lap and letting me hold him when he's calmed down too, but not every time.

DS still screams at the top of his lungs,  It's usually when he wants something or wants to do something, but I've already done it, like turn the light on.  He doesn't talk very well yet, but I try to tell him to please say 'I want to do it', or whatever fits for whichever situation.   I have the early intevention program in my county coming this week to help us with this issue. 

I also try to redirect him even before he gets into the trouble, if I can.  Sometimes I can tell if he's going to do something he knows he's not supposed to and I'll quickly give him something to play with or I'll start plaing with him if I'm not already, if he's eating, I'll give him his milk.  That's helped some. 

I don't know if any of this helps, I hope it does.  There are times I'm at my wits end and I feel like I don't know what to do anymore.  I have to hide for a few minutes to regain composure.  And sometimes I wander if it'll get easier the older he gets.  

jconney80
by Ruby Member on Feb. 28, 2015 at 11:22 PM

Have you discussed this behavior with the pediatrician along with how she ignores people when they're calling her? I think I would bring it up. My younger two kids were a lot like that and they have high functioning autism (i hate that term but that's the best way to put it). I'm not trying to alarm you but that is a typical issue with kids on the spectrum. They might only listen to you calling them half of the time. How long do her meltdowns last? I really found timeouts to be very ineffective for my kids and this can work for any child not just autistic ones. I would let them throw their fit as long as they were not in danger of hurting themselves. I would give them a choice if they were being inflexible over what was going on at the time. I always talked about what was going on and validated how they were feeling. Does she talk a lot? She might also be feeling frustrated if she's struggling to communicate. I always gave my kids a lot of warnings before transitioning to something new. I tried to give them choices in things throughout the day such as do you want to wear the blue shirt or the pink shirt? Do you want to play with play doh or do you want to color? Etc etc. It helped a lot but sometimes there was nothing that I could do and the fit was going to happen no matter what. My kids were extremely inflexible at that age. It was difficult. Using sign language helped a lot. Hang in there mama! Hopefully things calm down for you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)