Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you know if your child has turettes or autism?

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 11:28 AM
  • 5 Replies
A lot of symptoms of turettes and autism seem to ho hand in hand. I have yet to have my 11yr old daughter diagnosed with either of these but a friend of the family just mentioned to me the other day that my daughter might possibly have turettes not autism. Any advice would help,please?
by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 11:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Bmat
by Emerald Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 1:02 PM

this is from consults.blogs.nytimes.com

Dr. Robert King and Dr. James Leckman of the Yale Child Study Center respond:

As with other neurologically based psychiatric disorders, the genetics of Tourette’s syndrome and autism are proving to be more complex than anticipated, with a large number of different genes probably at work in both disorders. Whether there is any genetic connection or whether the two disorders co-occur more than one would expect by chance is not clear.

The vast majority of individuals with Tourette’s do not have autistic features. Children with autism spectrum disorders may exhibit repetitive behaviors like flapping or make noises, but it is usually possible to distinguish these from true tics or obsessive-compulsive disorder. That said, some children with autism spectrum disorders may also have tics as well....

JustFox
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 1:04 PM
My older brother and myself both have Tourette Syndrome. We were diagnosed after our GP had seen video of what was going on and sent us to a neurologist who did a ct scan on our brain.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluewingeddove
by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 1:07 PM
Thanks so much for advice she has a case manager that I am going to call and her PCP that I am contacting tomorrow morning and see if she can get a referral to a neurologist.
amonkeymom
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 2:18 PM

My 13 year old has high functioning autism, but not tourettes, though I understand that they can be comorbid conditions.

I would suggest that you take her to a behavioural pediatrician for some testing.

bamababe1975
by Stephanie on Mar. 17, 2015 at 9:20 AM

Two of my cousins have Tourette's and they were diagnosed by their pediatrician after my aunt asked him about their tics they have. I'd say bring it up with her doctor so she can get tested and evaluated for both conditions.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)