Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom taking weird pictures of my daughter, need advice

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 3:00 PM
  • 9 Replies
Here's the story - my ex husband remarried about 8 months ago. The woman is in her mid-twenties and seems nice but can be a bit obnoxious and controlling from what I've seen. Their dad is minimally involved in their lives, picks them up on his weekends and that's it. Over the last coue months, his wife dresses up my FOUR year old daughter and does her hair etc and takes tons of pics of her, puts filters on them, and posts them on Facebook. It irritated me a bit at first but keeps getting worse and worse. What bothers me even more is, they both belong to a very strict religion and the wife covers her hair. I don't understand why she's doing this or why they think it's appropriate, but alarms are going off in my head and I really don't like it. I doubt the behavior will change if I talk to them about it, as they think they're pretty high and mighty with the religious stuff. It bothers me also because I don't want my daughter growing up feeling like she has to put on makeup and do her hair up and take pics of herself... This is exactly the issues us mothers seem
To try to avoid right?! So I guess my question is, am I overreacting? I need a reality check so I don't go overboard, or maybe this is a really big deal. The pics she posts my daughter is doing poses (not inappropriate ones) and they have filters on them and everything, just like a teenage girl would do. I also tried making a joke about one of the pics the other week, saying my daughter looked too grown up in the pics, and the stepmom got all pissed off and offended.... That seemed weird to me too
by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 3:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
complextrina
by Bronze Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 3:19 PM
Maybe the new wife is only following the religion to appease your ex...that could be why she feels the need to dress your daughter up, because she can't.
RachelNikole26
by Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 3:57 PM
She was in the religion before they even met, and just as extreme about it as he is... Good theory but still, doesn't make sense to doll up a 4 yr old have her pose then put on Facebook... I can't think of any good explanations
Hottmomma607
by Trica on Mar. 15, 2015 at 8:05 PM
I am confused by this whole situation. I would be upset a 4yo doesn't need makeup. But the religion thing would not bother me. If not hurting anyone?
As the mother and step mother you two need to come to an understanding. And talk, you don't need your ex to mediate. You're mom,she is Step mom who will primarily taking care of her while she is visiting her dad.
So she covers her hair but puts make up on her? What religion Is this?

Quoting RachelNikole26: Here's the story - my ex husband remarried about 8 months ago. The woman is in her mid-twenties and seems nice but can be a bit obnoxious and controlling from what I've seen. Their dad is minimally involved in their lives, picks them up on his weekends and that's it. Over the last coue months, his wife dresses up my FOUR year old daughter and does her hair etc and takes tons of pics of her, puts filters on them, and posts them on Facebook. It irritated me a bit at first but keeps getting worse and worse. What bothers me even more is, they both belong to a very strict religion and the wife covers her hair. I don't understand why she's doing this or why they think it's appropriate, but alarms are going off in my head and I really don't like it. I doubt the behavior will change if I talk to them about it, as they think they're pretty high and mighty with the religious stuff. It bothers me also because I don't want my daughter growing up feeling like she has to put on makeup and do her hair up and take pics of herself... This is exactly the issues us mothers seem
To try to avoid right?! So I guess my question is, am I overreacting? I need a reality check so I don't go overboard, or maybe this is a really big deal. The pics she posts my daughter is doing poses (not inappropriate ones) and they have filters on them and everything, just like a teenage girl would do. I also tried making a joke about one of the pics the other week, saying my daughter looked too grown up in the pics, and the stepmom got all pissed off and offended.... That seemed weird to me too
Hottmomma607
by Trica on Mar. 15, 2015 at 8:06 PM
Does she have kids? She seems to be playing "dress up."

Quoting RachelNikole26: She was in the religion before they even met, and just as extreme about it as he is... Good theory but still, doesn't make sense to doll up a 4 yr old have her pose then put on Facebook... I can't think of any good explanations
mylilsunshine
by Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 8:20 PM
What kind of make up are we talking about. Lipstick? Body glitter? Or are we talking Toddlers and Tiaras? Either way I would not be ok with someone taking pics of my child that areinappropriate to me. Teenage poses are not ok for a 4 yr old. p
Bmat
by Emerald Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 9:48 PM

If they are just playing dress up, then OK.  Ask your husband to ask her.

Sleepymom114
by New Member on Mar. 19, 2015 at 6:38 PM

Go modify the court order so she can't post pictures of that on facebook. Sounds strange to put make up on a 4 year old to me. 

KekeLi938
by Member on Mar. 20, 2015 at 11:22 PM
I have a 5 year old daughter, and she loves playing dress up which includes putting on a tiny amount of make up.
calsmom62
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2015 at 11:30 PM
I am not a stepmom nor have I been divorced so I have no expertise in your situation but I can tell you that my sisters in law ( dh 4 sisters) were girly girly and their favorite hobby was dressing dd up with makeup and hair craziness and ds who was a toddler and preschooler too. Kind of glad cell phones and fb werent a thing back then lol ...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)