Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you let your dog ride in the car with its head out the window?

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2015 at 8:39 AM
  • 71 Replies
1 mom liked this

The dogs seem to enjoy it so much, but I've read they can get bits of stuff in their eyes.

by on Apr. 5, 2015 at 8:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmat
by Emerald Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 8:48 AM

I googled around about this. Mainly it is as I said that the dog's eyes are exposed to too much stuff flying by at high speeds. Also that he may be able to wriggle through the window. And third, that if the car is in an accident, the dog is in a lot of danger. A crate is recommended.

Spam72
by Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 8:49 AM
1 mom liked this
No. My Yorkie can't reach the window safely.
1taximomhere
by Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 8:50 AM
2 moms liked this
No, but I do put the window down half way for him to feel the wind.
Bmat
by Emerald Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 8:55 AM

When I was reading about letting a dog ride with its head out of the window, there was conjecture about why they like it so much.  A comment was made that they don't run and sit in front of a fan when one is turned on.  Your dog must like the wind on him even if he isn't riding with his head out of the window-  what is it about the car driving breeze? 

Quoting 1taximomhere: No, but I do put the window down half way for him to feel the wind.

1taximomhere
by Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 9:00 AM
I really don't know, but I have been told that a fan blowing does not cool a dog down if they are hot. We keep one in the garage in the summer just so he can lay near it to feel the breeze too.

Quoting Bmat:

When I was reading about letting a dog ride with its head out of the window, there was conjecture about why they like it so much.  A comment was made that they don't run and sit in front of a fan when one is turned on.  Your dog must like the wind on him even if he isn't riding with his head out of the window-  what is it about the car driving breeze? 

Quoting 1taximomhere: No, but I do put the window down half way for him to feel the wind.

vegaswife2011
by Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 12:27 PM
1 mom liked this
I do. Part of me hopes he falls out too.
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:36 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Sapphire Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 12:33 PM

never :)

MysticRainbow
by on Apr. 5, 2015 at 12:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Yep. I do. I have the window down just enough for the shepherd to get her head out. When they ride in the back of the truck, both dogs hang their head over the side.
CreamTop
by on Apr. 5, 2015 at 1:19 PM
2 moms liked this
They love all the good smells! Plus, the motion of being in a car going faster than they can run - who doesn't?

Quoting Bmat:

SpiritedWitch
by on Apr. 5, 2015 at 1:33 PM

Nope. she doesn't like it. 

"Anger makes you stupid. Stupid gets you killed." Michonne

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)