Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you ever gotten sick on vacation?

Posted by on Aug. 8, 2015 at 1:28 PM
  • 18 Replies

Girl Catches the Plague at Popular Family Vacation Spot

A family trip to Yosemite National Park turned into a nightmare when a girl became sick with the plague, experts suspect. The plague! This comes after two people in Colorado, including a 16-year-old boy, have died from the disease. Should parents worry?

Health officials say no (um, okay ...), the ancient disease is extremely rare and can be treated with antibiotics. But wouldn't we all love to avoid exposing our kids to the plague regardless? How on earth do you pick it up in the wild?

Well, one way is by feeding the chipmunks. Humans can contract the plague from rodents -- that seems to be the most common means of transmission. So experts are warning everyone not to feed or come near any of the cute, furry creatures you meet in the forest. And don't let your curious little scientists-in-training get close to dead animals. And don't even let your pets come near rodents and other small, wild creatures.

Here's a few other things you should know about the plague.

1. There are three different kinds: bubonic, septicemic, and pneumonic. The last of these can be transmitted person to person.
  2. Early symptoms are similar to the flu: sudden fever, severe headache, nausea, and chills.
  3. The plague is fatal if not treated. It's bacterial, so it can be treated with antibiotics if caught early.
  4. About seven cases of the plague a year are reported in the U.S.
  5. Again, the best ways to avoid the plague is by avoiding wild rodents:

"Never feed squirrels, chipmunks, or other rodents in picnic or campground areas, and never touch sick or dead rodents. Protect your pets from fleas and keep them away from wild animals," California state health officer Dr. Karen Smith said in a statement about the state's investigation of the human plague case.

Fortunately the young girl who caught the plague is recovering. We hope she and her whole family will soon be in full health. How terrifying, though. 

by on Aug. 8, 2015 at 1:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cafe AmyS
by on Aug. 8, 2015 at 1:31 PM

My cousin and her (then) new husband both spent their honeymoon with a terrible stomach virus, and my (now) ex-husband came home from our honeymoon with an awful staph infection.

daissy224
by Bronze Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 4:41 PM

Quoting Cafe AmyS:

My cousin and her (then) new husband both spent their honeymoon with a terrible stomach virus, and my (now) ex-husband came home from our honeymoon with an awful staph infection.

Oh that's awful!

daissy224
by Bronze Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 4:42 PM

I cannot recall getting sick on vacation..

89mommy114
by Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 5:04 PM

My whole family went on vacation together for a week. I was sick with a stomach virus for the first 5 days.

matofour
by Gold Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 5:07 PM
We travel a lot. We have five kids and travel with my mom as well. Sick happens, even on vacation.
We got a 12 hour stomach bug at Disney.
We have had ear infections, swimmers ear.
We have had breathing issues with my asthmatic.
We had two hand burns (one little one who grabbed a curling iron, one older one burned her hand on a waffle griddle at free hotel breakfast).
I've been sick with vertigo, and we had one get stitches in his hand after falling off his bike.
Stuff happens and when you are exposed to that many people (like at Disney) it's easy to get sick.
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:56 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Sapphire Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 5:17 PM

Yes a couple of times .. no fun :(

goatmom4
by Silver Member on Aug. 9, 2015 at 8:41 PM

yes not really bad somtimes jet lag can be bad        but we were on honeymoon so we had stuff to do   ...

berlgirl1224
by Gold Member on Aug. 9, 2015 at 11:16 PM
We just got back from our week long vaca about two weeks ago. I spent five days in the bathroom. And it was a bathroom the whole park had to share. Like, six bathrooms (toilet and shower in each) for 14 cabins and 50 tent sites. And we had the furthest cabin from the bathrooms. This was the worst vaca ever. :( And it stuck with me for a week, sporadically

Quoting 89mommy114:

My whole family went on vacation together for a week. I was sick with a stomach virus for the first 5 days.

Alaskanmama0814
by Otter on Aug. 9, 2015 at 11:21 PM
The first time I went to Hawaii as a kid I got such a bad sunburn I had to go to the hospital and stay inside for many days. Then when my dh and I went there to get married/honeymoon I ended up with a horrible UTI the day before our wedding. And when I say horrible I mean running down the street crying, trying to find the urgent care because I was peeing blood. I had to take some sort of medicine that made it so I couldn't be in the sun. I love Hawaii, but have not had the best track record there.
MikeysMom22
by Bronze Member on Aug. 10, 2015 at 12:04 AM

Have had trips to Urgent Care to the ER with different members of our family on various vacation trips. 

Getting sick does not take a vacation. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)