Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about 6 month old boy

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 4:43 PM
  • 26 Replies
So I'm a first time mom and my baby boy has gradually become extremely distracted. (For lack of better words) basically it started out when I would feed him as a newborn nobody else could come up and touch him or he would get frustrated and wiggle which was just kinda cute and I liked to tell people his feeding times were sacred to him lol ๐Ÿ˜Š but as time went on eventually his daddy couldn't be in sight or making any sound or he would stop eating to see him, then it got to where the TV couldn't be on, nobody could be doing anything while he was eating or he wouldn't eat. Now it's so severe he can't even be in the living room while he eats because the sound of cars going by outside distract him and he won't eat. When I say he won't eat I mean he'll push the bottle away, or start chewing on the nipple while he tries to see whatever is distracting him and will refuse to eat unless whatever it is, is taken away from his sight/hearing range It's so severe the only way he'll make it through a bottle is with no sounds, no movements, and no distractions! I understand he's at the age where he's learning how the world works and everything is amazing but I feel like this has become very extreme.. I thought of a lot of possibilities like ADD but I wasn't sure if it was possible for him to already be showing signs.. I'm just worried... His pediatricians appointment is in two days and I'll be bringing it up to her but I figured I would see what kind of opinions/advice I could get from you lovely ladies first! Thank you!
by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 4:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 4:55 PM
1 mom liked this
My yds was like that when he was around that age. He would be nursing & the slightest sound would cause him to to get distracted. I finally just had to make sure it was quiet & no distractions. He's 15 months old now & still gets distracted, but he's learned to multitask by eating & being nosey. If you're concerned, talk to your pediatrician, but your lo sounds like he's just learning to be observant.
by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 11:28 PM
Sounds pretty typical to me.
by on Sep. 25, 2015 at 11:46 PM
1 mom liked this
With so many kids having issues these days I can see why you jumped to such a conclusion. However, it is actually typical and especially in boys. They have to know all see all. And if they are the mechanical type they will have to k ow how it works too. To ease your mind even more, most kids with disorders such as add, Autism, as he, usually an array of issues going on at one time. Many of them don't even like food for the most part. A typical starts getting distracted.

I wish people would not be so mean to each other. Our society has so much awareness out there now so sometimes we do tend to jump to conclusions. There was something wrong with my son from the get go and I knew it. Everyone kept telling me I was just wanting something to be wrong or imagining things. If I would have listened my son would have fallen completely through the cracks.
by Platinum Member on Sep. 26, 2015 at 2:31 PM

I'm thinking that if he's that distracted, that maybe he's not really hungry at that time. Maybe give him some time to look around and check out his environment and then try again.

by New Member on Sep. 30, 2015 at 12:42 PM
I'm certainly not jumping to conclusions I simply said I've thought of a lot of possibilities and ADD happened to be the one example I gave. I'm not sure how thinking of all the possibilities makes me "clueless" but if you want to talk about disturbing things, I would say the fact that you can be so rude to someone for simply worrying about their child is pretty disturbing.

Quoting Lillibella: Are you seriously asking if your baby has ADD?
No, he's a freaking baby. He's more interested in sights and sounds and stimuli than food. It's called curiosity and something that should be encouraged.
Please ask your pediatrician more if you're that clueless. I understand you're a first time mom, but the fact that you jumped right to a behavioral disorder is disturbing to me.
by Silver Member on Sep. 30, 2015 at 1:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Perfectly normal!  Babies are naturally curious when it comes to sounds and activity around them and have to check it out no matter what they're supposed to be doing. Both of our kids were like this right from the start too. Dd would eventually settle into eating after we'd let her take a look and as long as no one else touched her or talked to her. But her brother needed to be fed away from all distractions or he'd forget that he was hungry in his need to know and see and do LOL  So we'd let him get it out of his system and then go back to feeding him when he was ready. As he got older it took less time for him to remember and get back to the goods on his own.

They are 7 and 9 now and still have troubles with being easily distracted (like typical kids) but I've been promised that they do outgrow it LOL    We've also made very specific rules about meal times that are for everyone so that helps too (even with toddlers and preschoolers).

Try not to let his natural curiousity frustrate you too much and enjoy having such an awesomely aware little boy. He'll get there mom and will let you know without a doubt when he's ready to eat wink mini

by on Apr. 19, 2016 at 5:41 PM
How is your son doing now? Hope you found everything to be okay.
by Gold Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 9:10 AM

Sounds normal.

Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 10:43 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Sapphire Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 9:40 AM

Sounds pretty normal to me :)

by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 10:39 AM

my oldest was like this..just had to go to another room

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)