Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How would your life change if you won $300 million?

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:13 AM
  • 288 Replies

It was cool to see the lady on the news this morning who won the $3 million. The news went on to comment on several other big winners whose lives after winning have been miserable, ended up in jail, regretted having won. And a few who were fine with it and had given to their communities.

I believe they have to pay tax on the winnings, right? So they'd actually get about $150 million, but even so. :)

PS,  I thought 3 million didn't seem enough and it was $300 million! I can't even imagine!!

by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MzD3
by Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:15 AM
4 moms liked this
Pay off all my debts and my kids . A new house and cars . No more work , maybe volunteer. Travel time
TAG_ur_it
by Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:16 AM
4 moms liked this

We wouldn't be living paycheck to paycheck anymore.  We would purchase a house, set up college funds for the kids and put the bulk of it in savings.  There are a few charities that I would donate to as well. 

lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:17 AM
2 moms liked this

I would sell my current home. Move to a much warmer area. Invest most of my winnnings. My DH could retire as he isnt that far from doing it. I would still work PT and volunteer. I would set up college funds for my grandkids.

Greenenvy
by Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:20 AM
3 moms liked this
Honestly it wouldn't change that much. I would pay off my lite bit of debt, maybe take a small vacation and be able to afford a couple of volunteer trips I've been interested in for years. Aside from that it would go in savings and I would use some to go back to school.
eyes4ears
by Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:20 AM
2 moms liked this
Yes I could see some changes. I'd definitely set my kids up.
Chris030406
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:25 AM
1 mom liked this
I'd like to think that the only thing I would change is to be rid of my student loan debt (only debt I have), and a small hobby farm near town. I'd probably invest some.

Honestly, I don't think my life would drastically change. While 3M is enough to be worry free (if you're smart), it isn't enough to make a big, global impact, which is what I would want to do.

Now, that 300M that someone just won.... I could definitely do some serious humanitarian good deeds across the globe! It woukd be so awesome!
GodsAmiga
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:26 AM
1 mom liked this

We would have no debt (including house loan), my family would have no debt, and we would have a nice savings account. And we would give to the church and some organizations such as World Vision and Make A Wish. Otherwise nothing would change. Call me crazy but for now our family of 6 fits comfortably in our 1300 sq ft house, we have a nice van and an extra older car, and we wouldnt need to go on any excessive vacations. Down the road we might go on a nice vacation or use some of the savings for a bigger home but we still wouldn't go crazy. :-)

sweetfox3
by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:41 AM
1 mom liked this
Pay off debt, buy a house-something nice, but nothing excessively fancy, give to the charity of our choice, then invest the remainder to live on.
LoriAnn87
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:46 AM
1 mom liked this

It would be awesome too win that much money. We use pay off our house, debt, put money away for our sons, buy a new car, take a vacation, fix up the house and the rest put in savings.

diane-b
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 8:51 AM
1 mom liked this
Pay off our home. Keep working . But, hubby could work lot less for sure! Live normal but , more family things for sure.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)