Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Come on, ladies! Let's brag a little! How did you meet your husband?

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2015 at 1:28 PM
  • 36 Replies

My husband and I met when we were in 8th grade. That's right. We're high school sweethearts. Although we didn't start dating till our sophomore year of high school. February 10 will mark our 10th year together as a couple.How did you meet the man who ultimately ended up becoming your husband?

My husband's name is Stephen and we met at the first dance of our 8th grade year. He found me sitting by myself while I was trying to decide whether I wanted to go home early or not. The boy I liked at the time wasn't there and I was sick of watching all the couples dance together. When Stephen walked up, my mind was blown. Can you imagine it? This tall, super skinny, super pale, super sweaty kid with way too long hair walking up to you and asking you to slow dance with him? Lol! I was so confused! I'd never seen anyone work up that much sweat at these dances before. It was...embarrassing and funny now that I think about it. I politely told him "no thank you" and made up some lame excuse like my feet were sore. That usually got the other guys to leave me alone (yes, I turned down other invitations to dance but mostly because there were girls who weren't dancing because they were waiting for these guys to ask them.) but it didn't get Stephen to. He kept bugging me.

"Oh, come on! Please? You can rest later!"

I'd never had anyone try so hard to get me to dance with them before. It made me feel pretty good and I could tell I was really going to like him. Plus behind all that sweat and hair, he actually had a kind of cute face. What really sealed it for me was when he guessed the guy I liked. Stephen was a new student at the time and I had no idea he knew who my crush was or that my crush had been talking about me a lot recently. It was crazy! So I got up and danced with that sweaty boy, and I told myself that I was really going to like him--maybe even love him. Lol! It took three years for me to finally say yes to being his girlfriend. Stephen asked me once every year starting with 8th grade and at the end of our 10th grade year, I finally said yes. My parents hated him. They didn't like the fact that he wore a black trench coat and dark clothes all the time, and they especially hated his hair but I loved him for all that and more. He was (and still is) so unique. I'd never met anyone like him. He taught me so many things (I'm embarrassed to admit I didn't know there were other religions outside of Baptist, Catholic, and Christian) and he's always been so patient with me. Even though I've put him through hell so many times, he's never given up on me. That's not to say we never had problems and never broke up. I broke up with him ten times before I stopped trying (it was more like I tried to break up with him but we ended up sitting down and talking it over).

He's amazing in so many ways, even if he can be a real pain in the butt.

Sorry for the long post. That's my story in a nutshell. What's yours?

by on Nov. 16, 2015 at 1:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 1:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I met my Dh Alex in a chat room 18yrs ago (Aug 16). He was in Denmark and I was here in Canada. We were 27 and I was tired of being hit on by horny old men and pushy, rude younger guys. I was just wanting to find a friend my own age and he was the only one there that night (my female friends had logged off already). We chatted for several hours and became really good friends really fast. It just felt like we'd known each other our whole lives. Then out of the blue he said "gotta go bye!" and disappeared. I was hooked! LOL   It turned out that it was like 3 am for him and he had to get some sleep before he had to leave for work at 7.

We chatted daily for the next several days and about a month after we met he said he loved me for the first time and freaked me out pretty good as he was the first guy to ever show any kind of interest in me. A week later we talked on the phone for the first time and I said I loved him too. We talked for 4hrs (HUGE and very costly mistake!!) and between talking about our wants and plans for the future things got serious! Without thinking I said "when we get married" and he agreed and made more plans and said that he couldn't wait. I stopped short and asked him if we just said we were getting married and he said yes and after a lot of my asking and reasking if it was for real we agreed to get married for real. Long story short he came here for 3wks that Christmas and that's when we got engaged officially. Then he went home to Denmark and basically packed up to move here to be with me. I wasn't the most popular person with his sister who wasn't home when he moved and his parents had only ever seen my picture but he came anyways. He moved here May 5, 1998 and on July 14 we had to get married in secret because of a screwup in his immigration stuff. We had our big white wedding Dec 12 of that year and haven't looked back!  It hasn't been the easiest 17yrs but it's been very much worth it and I had a LOT of prayers answered and miracles worked in my life so I am not complaining.

by Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 1:59 PM
1 mom liked this
I met dh in 7th grade. His cousin was best friends with my cousin. We didn't start dating until we were 24 though. We have been together for 10 years.
by Member on Nov. 16, 2015 at 2:06 PM
1 mom liked this

that is ADORABLE!!!!  What a sweet tale.  

Mine for my ex, not so much.  We met on the train going to highschool.  I was 10th grade and he was 9th.  30 years later, we are divorced.  :( He became uglier and uglier each year, inside.  He was never a looker, but he was smart and funny.

Now my partner, he and i met online.  We graduated the same class in HS.  Big school.  Didnt know him. I was hurting going thru divorce stuff.  He reached out to me, having had his own woes.  We became fierce best friends.  After some time, and so many hours of crying and laughing, we met at a reunion and the rest is history.  It was gradual.... can't escape that high school

by Allie on Nov. 16, 2015 at 2:36 PM
1 mom liked this

We were both out of college and working.  The firm I work for did a project for the business he worked for.  We were in some meetings together.  We chatted informally before and after.   Eventually we agreed to meet for drinks after work one day.  That turned into dinner and then a walk and a good-night kiss.  That was 17 years ago.  We have been married 14 years and have two daughters, 10 and 14.  

by on Nov. 16, 2015 at 2:46 PM
1 mom liked this
My dad moved us from North Carolina to Alabama the summer before seventh grade. When I started school, I decided to join the school band and picked the trumpet. DH was in seventh grade as well and he and his best friend also picked trumpet. They seated us in alphabetical order and I ended up sitting in between the two of them. They loved to annoy the crap out of me, poke me in the sides, blow their trumpets in my ear, annoying preteen boy stuff.

We ended up "dating" for a year in 7th and 8th grade, broke up for some stupid middle school, but still remained good acquaintances. We began dating gain the beginning of our senior year of high school and the rest is history :)
by Member on Nov. 17, 2015 at 8:52 AM
2 moms liked this

We met on World of Warcraft.

by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2015 at 10:14 AM

Lol.. we were our respective friends "wingperson" on their date. I wasn't seriously dating anyone and he was just getting out of a long term relationship. A year later, he just texted me out of the blue and we've been together ever since. 

by on Nov. 17, 2015 at 10:19 AM
1 mom liked this

A mutual friend introduced us to each other. We've been together and married for 27 yrs.  

Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 10:43 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Sapphire Member on Nov. 17, 2015 at 12:06 PM
1 mom liked this

In college ;)

by Trica on Nov. 17, 2015 at 1:41 PM
We met standing in line, we danced later that night and exchange numbers. 😊
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)