Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you do when you get a headache?

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 1:54 PM
  • 25 Replies

I'm now a member of the Monthly Migraine Club, a club nobody wants to be in. It began a few years ago and my mother tells me it's what happened to her as she entered perimenopause, worsening during menopause, and lessening a little after coming out the other side. Joy. Anyway, whenever I get a headache now, I drink some water, get something to eat if I haven't yet, use my wand massager on my neck, and take some OTC pain reliever. If the headache doesn't go away or if it worsens, I will then take some OTC migraine reliever once enough time has passed after the other dose. So far, unlike my mother, none of my migraines has ever taken me completely down for the count. I do get the light sensitivity and nausea many times, but I can usually limit activity requiring bright lights and reading, suck on some peppermint or sip some gingerale, and have things ease up - no lying down in a dark room for me!

What do you do when you get a headache? What about migraines - do you get those?

by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 1:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
QueenBof6
by Platinum Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 1:57 PM
I get migraines frequently.

I use a cup of fresh squeezed lemon juice. And a teaspoon of pink himilayian sea salt. And chug it. It tastes terrible. But it's worked every time for me.

Other things that I have tried and work are eating a baked potato. And hitting the pressure points.
horcruxnumber8
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 1:57 PM
I drink coffee. It takes them away unless it's really really bad
EmilyH87
by Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 2:12 PM
Take Excedrin and sleep if I'm where I can. If it hits at work, I chug caffeine and go into the bathroom frequently and turn the lights off so I get some relief for a couple minutes. I rarely take anything but Excedrin migraine anymore, even if it hasn't become a migraine. Not much else works well for me. I just popped a couple. Blaming it partly on the weather. My head hates rain.
cleokitty14
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 2:21 PM

For years I got migraines and cluster headaches so bad I would be in tears.  I took all sorts of meds, both OTC & prescription.  Then about 10 years ago I started taking Topamax and it is the only thing that has really helped.  I've only had about 2-3 headaches since and they have been nothing more than just a mild headache and last a really short time.

ladyvamp5489
by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 2:30 PM

i have gotten migraines since i was a child, the ones that make you throw up and wat it dark and quiet and cat think. I have dealt with them with vicoden, tylenol 3, and morphene at times, now i have Imatrex and when that doesnt work i drink down 3 tablespoons ice water mixed with a tablespoon of vinegar, and that helps within 30 mis every time, getting to the point where i do the vinegar first and dont have to deal with it long.

PrincessAsmommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2016 at 1:17 AM

Regular headaches I take care of with a nap in a cool room. Migraines tend to last for a long time so I take a couple ibuprofen, take a hot shower and then retreat to my dark bedroom with some quiet music. Music has always been my happy place and I have a collection of cds that I use when my migraines are at their worst. I also have a stash of dark chocolate and black teas that help too.

Aquarius_RN
by Member on Mar. 12, 2016 at 1:23 AM
I have a long history with migraines, I was 5 when I had my first. I now know what my triggers are and rarely have one, but when I get my aura, I take a combination of medications and then go to bed. Nothing prevents them from happening, the medications just minimize the effects and shorten the migraine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
taniamorse85
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2016 at 3:29 AM

I usually don't do anything for a headache unless it's really annoying me.  In that case, I'll take some aspirin or Advil.  Fortunately, I've only gotten a couple migraines in my life.  They were in the first few months after my period initially started.  As I recall, I pretty much just stayed in bed with the covers over my head all day.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:36 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Sapphire Member on Mar. 12, 2016 at 12:06 PM

Hugs to you :)

auntangelofsix
by Gold Member on Mar. 12, 2016 at 1:12 PM
I don't get them much.if I do I take Tylenol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)