Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to make a left and right turn in your vehicle

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 2:56 PM
  • 34 Replies

I see people pulling to the left to make a right hand turn, and this really isn't necessary and can be dangerous.

This is from defensivedriving.com

Turning may seem basic but it is ordinary driving tasks that are so easy to do wrong. The first thing you need to do before you make a turn is to make up your mind to turn. Generally give your turn signal a full city block before your turn. If you miss your turn keep going until you can safely exit and turn back. Once you start a turn, follow through.

If you plan to make a right hand turn, get close to the right edge of the road. Watch for pedestrians and people on bicycles. If you are turning at an intersection look left then right then left again. If all is clear make your turn. Don’t turn wide but stay in the right lane until you’ve finished your turn. When you want to turn left, get close to the center divider line or into the left turn lane if there is one. Turn left only when you see that it is safe.

by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 2:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmat
by Emerald Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:01 PM

Then there was the person driving in front of me who put on her left turning signal, moved to the left, and turned right! grrr.

Pixiemaid
by Silver Member on Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:44 PM
maybe she got confused on the turn signal
beadingmom17
by Rachel on Mar. 22, 2016 at 11:05 PM
And if you plan to make a right turn and there is a large truck (box or semi), in front of you, give them plenty of space and don't try to ride up on them on the right because they will squish you like a bug!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Emerald Member on Mar. 23, 2016 at 10:28 AM

This is what my husband said, too. And good point, I'm sure I've done things like this, too.

Quoting Pixiemaid: maybe she got confused on the turn signal

Bmat
by Emerald Member on Mar. 23, 2016 at 10:29 AM

*nodding* Very good point.

Quoting beadingmom17: And if you plan to make a right turn and there is a large truck (box or semi), in front of you, give them plenty of space and don't try to ride up on them on the right because they will squish you like a bug!

beadingmom17
by Rachel on Mar. 23, 2016 at 10:02 PM
My husband drives trucks for a living. The number of people who try to weasel in and get around trucks is astounding.

Quoting Bmat:

Quoting beadingmom17: And if you plan to make a right turn and there is a large truck (box or semi), in front of you, give them plenty of space and don't try to ride up on them on the right because they will squish you like a bug!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Emerald Member on Mar. 24, 2016 at 9:04 AM

It is so dangerous to do that. :(   Has he ever said that he had to stop the truck and wait for the person to back up?

Quoting beadingmom17: My husband drives trucks for a living. The number of people who try to weasel in and get around trucks is astounding.
Quoting Bmat:

katfeemom
by Member on Mar. 24, 2016 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you!!!!

I can't stand when people are going to make a left hand turn, so they pull ALL THE WAY to the RIGHT hand side of the road....  

Do they not realize that their actions make it impossible for the traffic behind them to continue it's pattern of flow?

Bmat
by Emerald Member on Mar. 24, 2016 at 2:43 PM

They think they need to have a wider turning space so pull to the right, but intersections are made so that no wider space is needed. When I had drivers' training we were told to move to the left to make a left turn and to the right to make a right turn.

Quoting katfeemom:

Thank you!!!!

I can't stand when people are going to make a left hand turn, so they pull ALL THE WAY to the RIGHT hand side of the road....  

Do they not realize that their actions make it impossible for the traffic behind them to continue it's pattern of flow?

beadingmom17
by Rachel on Mar. 24, 2016 at 4:10 PM
Oh, multiple times! Then they get mad at him! Smh...people are crazy.

Quoting Bmat:

It is so dangerous to do that. :(   Has he ever said that he had to stop the truck and wait for the person to back up?

Quoting beadingmom17: My husband drives trucks for a living. The number of people who try to weasel in and get around trucks is astounding.

Quoting Bmat:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)