Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

9 Month old never sleeps through a night...

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 9:01 AM
  • 38 Replies
Hello everyone, I am new to the site and I have so many questions that I don't even know where to start! My little baby girl, Lillian, is now 9 months and 1 week old... and she has NEVER slept through a night. never. She goes to sleep at around 7 and will sleep between 4-5 hours before waking up.. then after rocking her back to sleep, usually with a bottle of milk she will sleep again for 2 to 3 hours. After that she will wake up almost once every hour until she wakes up for the last time at around 5 o'clock. It is amazing how your body gets use to the interrupted sleep!! I don't know what we are doing wrong, if anything, or what we can do to help her sleep through the night! Please help!
by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 9:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:30 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Sapphire Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 11:48 AM

Welcome to CafeMom,
Sorry to hear this .. what does your pedi suggest you do?
Hopefully others have some answers/suggestions as well :)

Quoting YolandeNel: Hello everyone, I am new to the site and I have so many questions that I don't even know where to start! My little baby girl, Lillian, is now 9 months and 1 week old... and she has NEVER slept through a night. never. She goes to sleep at around 7 and will sleep between 4-5 hours before waking up.. then after rocking her back to sleep, usually with a bottle of milk she will sleep again for 2 to 3 hours. After that she will wake up almost once every hour until she wakes up for the last time at around 5 o'clock. It is amazing how your body gets use to the interrupted sleep!! I don't know what we are doing wrong, if anything, or what we can do to help her sleep through the night! Please help!

AbbeysMom2013
by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 11:51 AM
I would talk to the pedi, but some kids just never sleep well unfortunately:(
justinnaimee
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 11:53 AM
2 moms liked this
"Sleeping through the night" at that age is 4-5 hours uninterrupted. Your baby is totally normal.

None of my three slept more than 4 hour stretches until they were close to 2.
Junebaby18
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 11:54 AM
Sounds normal to me! The first year is full of learning and developing and growth spurts. 2 of my kids didn't sleep they the night until at least 2 or older. Sleeping thru the night is approx 5-6 hours in a row for a baby/child, so she's doing that right now anyway. Is she getting any solids at all during the day? If so, she may be getting too many and she needs to wake up for that night bottle to consume more calories, as most solids don't contain enough calories per oz compared to formula/breastmilk per oz.
shadow_lark
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 11:57 AM
That's normal. My two older didn't sleep through the night until well after their first birthday. I'd say you're lucky to only have one night wake at this stage lol.
WILDCATGAL78
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 11:58 AM

That's normal. She is still under a year, so waking to eat is also normal. You just have to remember that sleeping through the night and/or self soothing is developmental. She will sleep through the night when she's ready. Just remember if she is getting solids, she should be nursing or having a regular first before any solids are offered. Baby sleep patterns change constantly the first 18-24 months due to regressions, growth spurts, meeting milestones, illness, hunger, etc. My own child didn't sleep through the night until she was closer to three years old (and she just turned three in Feb). 

VivaciousFaith
by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 11:59 AM
You have unrealistic expectations. Sleeping 5 consecutive hours is considered "sleeping through the night." My kids were 18+ months old before they slept longer than 8 hours straight.
janessa27
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 12:27 PM

I know all babies are different and have some friends who were lucky to get 3 hours of uniterrupted sleep until their kids were past 1. All 3 of my boys were sleeping through the night by 2 months old. I was all about setting a schedule and night time routines. They have always been great sleepers. 

Azure
by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 1:12 PM

Quoting justinnaimee: "Sleeping through the night" at that age is 4-5 hours uninterrupted. Your baby is totally normal. None of my three slept more than 4 hour stretches until they were close to 2.

This! Welcome to Cafemom, OP!

momofsixangels
by Ruby Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 1:15 PM
I agree with the others saying to talk to your doctor
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)