Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are these mommy's words or toddler words?

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 12:15 PM
  • 30 Replies
I'm a grandmother to a almost four year old granddaughter. Her mother, my daughter in law, and I haven't been getting along lately. I showed up at their house on Saturday for my granddaughters early birthday party. I hadn't been informed of the time of the party, or a change in venue for the party. When I arrived at the party, the first words out of my granddaughters mouth were, "We don't want you here." I really would like others to weigh in on the words said. We're they truly my granddaughters, or where they the words of her mother? Up until the last couple of months I had a great relationship with my granddaughter and my daughter-in-law. My granddaughter has spent so much time with me, spent the night and then didn't want to go home. My daughter in law couldn't handle the stress of filling large orders for me at work, so I had to let her go. It was a tough decision but it was a business call. Please tell new what you think?
by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 12:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fullxbusymom
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 12:23 PM
2 moms liked this

Your granddaughter heard a conversation she probably shouldn't have heard and voiced it out loud. 

Duck1245
by New Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 12:25 PM
Those were my thoughts, too.
amonkeymom
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 8:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Pretty sure your granddaughter is just repeating something that your daughter-in-law said. 

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:32 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Sapphire Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 9:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes it is what she heard :(

SnapIt
by Movin' on up on Apr. 11, 2016 at 9:09 PM
1 mom liked this
She's listening to mommy talk out loud

Sad

Kids are sponges they hear and pick up and copy
.Angelica.
by Gold Member on Apr. 12, 2016 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this
If you had a good relationship with her prior to everything happening, I would say the 4 year old is just repeating what she's heard.
sanj1213
by Member on Apr. 12, 2016 at 1:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Kids repeat what they hear and do what they see.
sanj1213
by Member on Apr. 12, 2016 at 1:04 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree!

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Your granddaughter heard a conversation she probably shouldn't have heard and voiced it out loud. 

Jenbabyboytwo
by Member on Apr. 12, 2016 at 1:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like you're on the chopping block with your daughter in law.
MonarchMom22
by on Apr. 12, 2016 at 1:08 PM
4 moms liked this

It doesn't really matter.  Either way, there is tension and resentment that needs to be addressed. Four year old's can't be held responsible for saying things they heard, or interpretted.  Let that go and have a talk with DIL

You may have been 100% in the right in the business firing, but if you want to have a good relationship you may need to put her feelings first and be diplomatic.

If this was me, and I wanted to have a relationship with the family, I would apologize.  Not for the firing - but for the hard feelings it caused.  I would say I didn't handle it the best way and am so sorry that the business relationship has spilled over into the family relationship.  I would ask her what I could do to repair things and let her know how much being a part of their lives matters.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)