Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What's wrong with shopping at dollar stores?

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 3:06 PM
  • 32 Replies

My son's a teen and eats like a typical teenage boy, lol, so when his friends are over, they typically expect to eat, too, and that means I often pick up drinks and snacks from the dollar store around the corner to help make sure there's plenty for them without breaking the bank. One of the moms wasn't happy about her son getting off-brands, but when I told her she's welcome to send stuff with him for just him to enjoy while he's here if she'd like, she asked why I couldn't just by the "real" stuff? Um, because I'm the one footing the bill when all five teen boys are here 4 days a week? What's so bad about dollar store goods anyway?

by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 3:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jenniy
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 3:08 PM
4 moms liked this

I don't see a problem with what you're doing, she sounds like she just wants to bitch about something.

aurorabear
by Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 3:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, the dollar store does have "real" brands. And the chips and what not that are not, are made out of the same processed stuff............. so.............................. And I LOVE the dollar store. 

PartyOfGirls
by Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 3:11 PM
1 mom liked this

lol Thats hilarious!!!

But that poor boy I wonder what she is like at home? lol

virginiamama71
by Carrie on Apr. 11, 2016 at 3:16 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't buy food at the dollar tree. but alot of other things are ok.

I wouldn't keep feeding them snacks and juice. they never fill up and constantly keep eating more.

Jethro178
by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 3:16 PM
1 mom liked this

i don't think there is anything wrong with buy stuff at the dollar store. i love the dollar store!!!  and i buy alot of stuff when ever i go in one. of cousre i have that some are better than others but still; i see one i must go in and browse around lol. your son's friends mother is the one with the problem, not you.

SuthernMomma11
by New Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 3:19 PM

I make my dollar store run daily! I buy foods at the dollar store all the time. Alot of it I can get cheaper there than I can at the grocery store. 

99problems
by Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 3:23 PM
Oh my. I dont typically buy the off brand snacks at dollar tree, but if you are feeding her kid and she's not putting anything towards it than so what. If she has a problem she can send him with his own snack bag.

I don't have any teenage boys so i have no idea how they eat. My DH and I typically stock up on fruit, crackers, and quick microwave snacks at Costco. If you are feeding several teenagers 3x a week than can break your budget!
celestegood
by Platinum Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 3:27 PM
Yeah, she can't complain unless she is footing the bill. Then she can dictate where you get the snacks at.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hottmomma607
by Trica on Apr. 11, 2016 at 3:57 PM
LOL She's tripping! And they have the same brand stuff as the grocery store.

Quoting xWonderWomanx:

My son's a teen and eats like a typical teenage boy, lol, so when his friends are over, they typically expect to eat, too, and that means I often pick up drinks and snacks from the dollar store around the corner to help make sure there's plenty for them without breaking the bank. One of the moms wasn't happy about her son getting off-brands, but when I told her she's welcome to send stuff with him for just him to enjoy while he's here if she'd like, she asked why I couldn't just by the "real" stuff? Um, because I'm the one footing the bill when all five teen boys are here 4 days a week? What's so bad about dollar store goods anyway?

Bmat
by Emerald Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 5:15 PM

I didn't know there was something wrong with dollar store. :)

For snacks especially.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)