Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty training advice

Posted by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:52 PM
  • 25 Replies
My almost 4yr old son has little interest in the potty. I've bought him several potty books which he enjoys reading. I got him, his own potty & a potty seat that goes on the big potty, he watches me & daddy pee & poop all the time. He loves to flush the potty. He will sit on potty but holds it until he gets off potty & has a pull up on. He has been staying dry throughout the night for almost 2 months. Every morning I ask him if he wants to try today to make pee-pee on the potty & he always says, "no" (shocker).. I put him in big boy underwear & he pees all over himself & doesn't seem to care......I've attempted to bribe him with m&m's, stickers, & toys. Nothing is working. I know that it will eventually happen but does anyone have any words of wisdom or amazing tips to help me help him figure it out before I go crazy?????? Thank you
by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
djamommyoftwo
by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:57 PM
Stop using pull ups.
I thought people were crazy when they told me that but it works.
I tried everything imaginable to train my youngest son and he was not having it.

I stopped using pull-ups and was consistent on making him sit on the pot. 4 days later he was potty trained.
Jadekse2
by New Member on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:58 PM
Ok I will try that thank u
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 10:36 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Sapphire Member on Apr. 12, 2016 at 11:01 AM

Try rewards for when he does go :)

Quoting Jadekse2: My almost 4yr old son has little interest in the potty. I've bought him several potty books which he enjoys reading. I got him, his own potty & a potty seat that goes on the big potty, he watches me & daddy pee & poop all the time. He loves to flush the potty. He will sit on potty but holds it until he gets off potty & has a pull up on. He has been staying dry throughout the night for almost 2 months. Every morning I ask him if he wants to try today to make pee-pee on the potty & he always says, "no" (shocker).. I put him in big boy underwear & he pees all over himself & doesn't seem to care......I've attempted to bribe him with m&m's, stickers, & toys. Nothing is working. I know that it will eventually happen but does anyone have any words of wisdom or amazing tips to help me help him figure it out before I go crazy?????? Thank you

.Angelica.
by Gold Member on Apr. 12, 2016 at 12:17 PM
If you think he's variable of doing it I would get rid of pull ups and just deal with a couple days of accidents, making him help clean up
mama2b100808
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2016 at 12:31 PM
Don't use pull ups. Get the potty training underwear. :) try a reward program with him.
sanj1213
by Member on Apr. 12, 2016 at 12:50 PM
The pull ups are possibly hindering him.
conweis
by Gold Member on Apr. 12, 2016 at 1:47 PM
I would ditch the pull ups
timon95
by Silver Member on Apr. 12, 2016 at 1:55 PM
Stop using pull ups, set up a rewards chart. He knows what he is doing and what he should be doing. He wets himself after getting off the potty then take a toy away
delanna6two
by on Apr. 12, 2016 at 1:55 PM

I used reward charts....just keep working with him it will come...I trained all of mine around 4 to 5years except one.

mnmo3bb
by on Apr. 12, 2016 at 3:13 PM

I'm not sure, I quit diapers cold turkey... have him help clean up messes... 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)